Tractor Related Farm Death In My Area Last Sunday

Just a little reminder to be safe around trees with tractors . Guy that I knew and used to work with back in 2009 and back was killed in a tree limb / tractor accident this past Sunday evening not far from me . I hadn't seen him in awhile , but from what I remember he was always friendly towards me when we worked together at another factory . I know from all the fire wood and tree trimming posts that some of you have been posting that there is a lot of you working around trees this time of year . Plus , it comes with living and working on a farm too ! Fence rows and storm damage , too. Always think ahead when it comes to trees or you may never have a second chance !

Whizkidkyus
Tractor / Tree Limb Accident

It can happen!

A few years ago I was mowing the front yard at my mom's old place. I was just mowing, not doing any tree work. I made a round, came back and there was very large, live, apparently healthy tree limb that decided to fall right where I was only a few seconds before!

In a conversation with an arborist I asked what would cause that, he said following a drought, when the trees finally get some water, they can take so much up the limbs can't hold the weight.

Very experienced professional choppers and arborists have trees do unexpected things to them. You can study the tree or branch and think that you understand the forces at work but the wood under the bark can have very different forces from what is apparent from the outside.

it can happen soooo quick. Ten years ago or more, I was disking with the 1206 on a field with a smallish limb hanging over the plowed ground. The roll bar hit the limb, flipped it forward before it broke off, and the limb smashed down on the cowl right in front of me. Broke the TA lever off and left a dent in the cowl. Thank God it missed me.

I have a good number of dead trees here that I need to knock down. They will be persuaded to hit the ground from the safety of the backhoe's cab.

That is too bad. I got hit in the head about 10 years ago, so I decided to put this canopy on our tractor. A local steel company cut and bent the 11 ga for the top, I had some square tubing and pipe, the ROPS was already on the tractor.. I think I made it for <$100. All of our land is tree covered, the one 25 acre field we had is all planted to spruce. I should have done it 20 years ago when the tractor was new. It keeps the sun and rain off me too, but it is a little noisier, but I wear ear plugs almost all the time. It might help if I put something soft on the underside, any ideas?
cvphoto142016.jpg

The closest call I had when I cut down a dead tree was, I successfully cut the tree and it fell in the direction I wanted. A second or two as I was congratulating myself a limb big enough to be fatal fell right in front of me. It had caught in another tree, broke off and sling-shotted back at me.

My close one was closer than that: the limb slammed the saw out of my hands, ripping the muffler off of it. Another 6 inches and it would have pounded a really big dent in my hardhat. Just like you, the tree was already on the ground. Another tree snatched that limb off the falling tree and flipped it way up in the air.

(quoted from post at 14:47:39 12/03/22) That is too bad. I got hit in the head about 10 years ago, so I decided to put this canopy on our tractor. A local steel company cut and bent the 11 ga for the top, I had some square tubing and pipe, the ROPS was already on the tractor.. I think I made it for &lt;$100. All of our land is tree covered, the one 25 acre field we had is all planted to spruce. I should have done it 20 years ago when the tractor was new. It keeps the sun and rain off me too, but it is a little noisier, but I wear ear plugs almost all the time. It might help if I put something soft on the underside, any ideas?
&lt;img src=https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cvphotos/cvphoto142016.jpg&gt;

Dynamat

Just a little reminder to be safe around trees with tractors.

And a reminder trees kill with or without a tractor.
I know of 5 people who died because of trees..
TREES KILL.

A simple shade cover isn't hard to build and could make a big difference in safety. I built this one for shade cover.
cvphoto142047.jpg

Yes tree can really hurt you if you do thing wrong. Years ago I had help hauling gravel out of the creek. While I was waiting on the guy to get back I figured I could knock down a dead tree with the loader. I pushed on the tree and instead of it falling a big limb broke off and pinned me to the tractor seat. I didn't get hurt but I also could not get off the tractor. Once the guy got back he and I could move it off the tractor. He got a good laugh at it

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back