Trailer winch wiring, part 2.

Gene Davis (Ga.)

I posted a question on here on 6-9-22 about how to wire and charge a battery for a trailer winch. I got a lot of good information and lots of good answers. One of my major concerns was charging the trailer battery while the truck is being driven and towing the trailer. What I did was this; I ordered a solid state battery isolater (~$30)from that big store that begins with the letter A. It is used with some motor homes and such and is designed to start charging the auxilary battery when the cranking battery reaches a voltage of ~14.2 and then when the cranking battery voltage drops to ~12.5 it disconnects the extra battery charging circuit so the cranking battery does not get drained. Thanks again everyone for helping with this. Gene Davis

Thanks for the feedback and CONGRATULATIONS. What you describe I may have referred refer to as a Solid State Battery Isolator (or somethiong like that lol) they are so simple and easy to wire, much easier than fooling with relays etc. YOU CHOSE WISELY !!!!!!!!!!

John T

The problem with those is it will not completely charge the winch battery. If you are depending on that system to charge the winch battery I would stick a charger on the winch battery every now and again.

Hobo, NC...The battery will not be permanent assigned to the trailer. It will only be in there when I need to use it. The other times it will be in a machine that is used quite often and should stay charged.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back