tRYING TO REMOVE POWER STEERING CYLINDER from Massey Fe

TOMEBOY

New User
I am trying to remove the pin from the ram end of the power steering cylinder on my Massey Ferguson 255. 1979 model year SN 9A313969. The top of the pin is threaded 5/8-16 and there is a hood ( keeper ) over the top of it. Others have said there is a roll pin keeping the pin in that needs to be removed. My tractor has no such pin or even a hole for any keeper pin. How does one remove the pin?

we removed the hood, then screwed a nut onto the threads, then add a good penetrating oil and keep turning and prying to remove it.If it comes up any, maybe add a washer and screw it down again.

Looks to me like they are both normal tapered ball joint type end on there. The picture came from section 63 of the linked AGCO online parts catalog.
cvphoto161162.png

AGCO MF 255 online parts catalog

Sorry Tom did not greet you in my 1st reply, hello and welcome to YT! I did not give you much info on how to remove the tapered stud. In the link is a similar part to what you are dealing with. I am wondering if part 37 will just unbolt to allow you to get the cylinder off then deal with removal if that is what you need to do. The best way is to pound on the side of the part that the taper is inserted in. I am talking about swinging at it with a 2 lbs hammer as hard as you can hit it. You are trying to microscopically egg shape the tapered hole the tapered stud is inserted into to cause it to pop free. Another thing that helps if possible is to ..counter weight.. the part the taper is in with a back up hammer or sledgehammer. Look at the picture and pretend the nut is the part you want to pound on. Another method is the place the nut on backwards so it is flush with the end of the stud and pound it attempting to drive it out. This method seems less effective than pounding the sides but can work. Good luck!
cvphoto161166.jpg

Example part

Im talking about a hydraulic powered steering cylinder above the front axle just ahead of the radiator. No tapered stud. Straight pin. Several views show a roll pin or cotter pin inserted through a hole in the casting below the threaded end of the pin, but my tractor has no such keeper.

That is a threaded pull dowel. oldwrencher gave you the answer, a nut that fits and a stack of washers. Stack up some washers over it install the nut and tighten (allow close to a full nut of threads when you stack the washers so as not to strip the threads of the dowel. If needed back the nut off and add more washers. Repeat until it is out.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back