TW35 front axle seals

Fordfarmer

The right front hub on my TW35 started leaking last fall. I checked it/topped it off each day to finish the corn. Got a quote from one shop, just wondering if it sounds reasonable... 12 hours, $1500 labor, $725 for seals and bushings, plus oil.
I still want to check a couple other places, see if they even have time to do it before planting starts.

That's outrageous. I'm not sure what the seal costs, but I could do that job in 2 hours max.
I wasn't very clear in what i said... I intend to have the whole front end resealed. With 8000+ hours, and one side leaking,i figure the other side is probably due, too.
But 12 hours does seem like a lot.

I wasn't very clear in what i said... I intend to have the whole front end resealed. With 8000+ hours, and one side leaking,i figure the other side is probably due, too.
But 12 hours does seem like a lot.
If you want them to replace the axle shaft seals at the same time, then that adds to the time and cost. If the knuckle kingpins don't want to come out then labor time goes up quickly. If the axle shaft seals are not leaking I'd leave them alone, and only do the hub seals. I could do both hub seals in 3-4 hours.

I did hub seals on my 8830 last year and it was about 4 hours for both sides not setting any land speed records.

I did hub seals and axle shaft seals on a newer NH tractor. I fought one king pin on each side for hours and hours. Labor racked up quickly.

If you want them to replace the axle shaft seals at the same time, then that adds to the time and cost. If the knuckle kingpins don't want to come out then labor time goes up quickly. If the axle shaft seals are not leaking I'd leave them alone, and only do the hub seals. I could do both hub seals in 3-4 hours.
Thanks, Bern.
I was thinking that, because of the hours on it, and since it woukd be in the shop, I'd have them all done. But no, the axle shaft seals are not leaking.

The right front hub on my TW35 started leaking last fall. I checked it/topped it off each day to finish the corn. Got a quote from one shop, just wondering if it sounds reasonable... 12 hours, $1500 labor, $725 for seals and bushings, plus oil.
I still want to check a couple other places, see if they even have time to do it before planting starts.
Update on the TW35 axle seals.
The leak was at the axle shaft where it goes into the hub, so that had to all come apart. Ended up being $1660 for just the right side. I'll have the other side done when my checkbook is healthier, or when I have to. Mechanic was surprised I'd never had these seals done before in the 24 years I've owned the tractor.

Update on the TW35 axle seals.
The leak was at the axle shaft where it goes into the hub, so that had to all come apart. Ended up being $1660 for just the right side. I'll have the other side done when my checkbook is healthier, or when I have to. Mechanic was surprised I'd never had these seals done before in the 24 years I've owned the tractor.
Can you post a pic of the work order, maybe obscuring the name of the shop? I'm curious as to the breakdown of parts and labor.

Can you post a pic of the work order, maybe obscuring the name of the shop? I'm curious as to the breakdown of parts and labor.

Attachments

• 20240321_162531.jpg
    20240321_162531.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 32
Looks like they replaced the hub seal as well, so overall the bill looks pretty fair. I see that they even tried to source the seals from Deere, which I could have told them would have been pointless, as Deere never used that model axle.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back