Unknown cable

I just recently purchased this a 1950 farmall M and it has a cable on the right hand side that I thought was for a 9 speed transmission but it doesnt seem to affect the gears. Does anyone have any idea what it is for?

(quoted from post at 16:55:48 06/30/23) I just recently purchased this a 1950 farmall M and it has a cable on the right hand side that I thought was for a 9 speed transmission but it doesnt seem to affect the gears. Does anyone have any idea what it is for?

mvphoto107182.jpg

mvphoto107183.jpg

This post was edited by FarmallMpower on 06/30/2023 at 05:09 pm.

Hello FMP welcome to YT! To clarify, yes it is very likely for a 9 speed. I believe the cable operation means it is an early M&W. Later M&W had a lever shift that went through the side of the transmission on the right. Heisler also made a 9 speed unit which shifted by a lever through the left side.

Edit: to correct information give, Heisler is shifted by a lever not a cable as I first said. Corrected everything above.

This post was edited by used red MN on 07/01/2023 at 09:49 am.

There is quite a bit of resistance and I can tell something is moving but it doesnt seem to engage.

This post was edited by FarmallMpower on 06/30/2023 at 08:14 pm.

Yes M&W 9 speed. Can check for cable operation by removing the belt pulley gear box. If cable is moving the shift lever and shift sleeve on lower transmission shaft the next problem would probably be with the spline that moves to connect the constant mesh gears. Pins that go to shift sleeve can come loose. Sometimes you can find a previous owner done something to block transmission in standard range instead of a repair. Cable passes through front wall of transmission housing and to remove or replace you need to unscrew a nut up inside center housing and remove inner wire from shift lever under belt Pulley gear box. If shifting at all you should find neutral between ranges even with main shift lever in gear.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back