Valspar grey?

Beanmedic

Did finally drive the Jubilee home and have it mostly stripped down for paint. Rear wheels have been powder coated, but are almost white. Hood and dash need paint. I know the paint color thing has been beat to death. But, has anyone found a TSC Valspar color that is a suitable medium grey for the 8N, NAA? Like everyone says, the Ford grey looks very light. Found a rattle can of Husky grey there that doesn't look bad, but they don't sell it in other than the rattle can version. SouNdguy, didn't you say you had used Valspar on your Ns? Was leaning toward Valspar because it is inexpensive and local, understanding it has drawbacks over expensive automotive paint.

The IH red looks like it might be a good red, if the paint can represents color well.

Oh, and didn't find this in a search...IF you were going to use a hardener with an alkyd enamel, do you also use a hardener with the primer...or does it matter?

(quoted from post at 10:52:17 09/24/11) Did finally drive the Jubilee home and have it mostly stripped down for paint. Rear wheels have been powder coated, but are almost white. Hood and dash need paint. I know the paint color thing has been beat to death. But, has anyone found a TSC Valspar color that is a suitable medium grey for the 8N, NAA? Like everyone says, the Ford grey looks very light. Found a rattle can of Husky grey there that doesn't look bad, but they don't sell it in other than the rattle can version. SouNdguy, didn't you say you had used Valspar on your Ns? Was leaning toward Valspar because it is inexpensive and local, understanding it has drawbacks over expensive automotive paint.

The IH red looks like it might be a good red, if the paint can represents color well.

Oh, and didn't find this in a search...IF you were going to use a hardener with an alkyd enamel, do you also use a hardener with the primer...or does it matter?

Ferguson gray is the darker 9N/2N version of the lighter Ford 8N gray - mix a small amount in to get the shade you want. I think you will find the IH red is quite a bit darker than the Ford 8N red.

TOH

(quoted from post at 15:52:17 09/24/11) Did finally drive the Jubilee home and have it mostly stripped down for paint. Rear wheels have been powder coated, but are almost white. Hood and dash need paint. I know the paint color thing has been beat to death. But, has anyone found a TSC Valspar color that is a suitable medium grey for the 8N, NAA? Like everyone says, the Ford grey looks very light. Found a rattle can of Husky grey there that doesn't look bad, but they don't sell it in other than the rattle can version. SouNdguy, didn't you say you had used Valspar on your Ns? Was leaning toward Valspar because it is inexpensive and local, understanding it has drawbacks over expensive automotive paint.

Martin senour #M2J957 is dead on for the grey (the good stuff but for a pro)

TISCO 240 (guess on the # ) is dead on (cheap paint for a beginner)

depends on how much money and how well a job you are will'n to take on

Both numbers are a deadnutz match

yes,I almost exclusively use valspar.

I too found the ford medium grey kinda light.. but used it.

On my 2n I used a ferguson grey.

On my 4000 I used an industrial grey from another brand.. VS I think.. can't recall.. can may still be in the shop if I have any left.

soundguy

If you use hardener (I've read about the advantages and disadvantages), do you also use it with the primer? To be more to the point, does hardener in the primer affect adhesion of finish coat?

(quoted from post at 23:29:14 09/24/11)
If you use hardener (I've read about the advantages and disadvantages), do you also use it with the primer? To be more to the point, does hardener in the primer affect adhesion of finish coat?

epoxy primer Yes,,, others far as I know, No

Looked at my notes TISCO TP240 Ford Med Grey is a deadnutz match...

Thanks! That may be what is sold on the "Just N" site. Number looks same.

Don't know that I will start with epoxy primer. I'm not taking it down to bare metal, except where the existing paint comes off. And I'm just cleaning her up and getting the rust off before painting. Really only intended to do the hood and dash and wheels, but after I got those off, then the radiator, then some of the brackets...then...well, you get the idea.

I used TSC Valspar Ferguson gray on this 2N...came
out nice (we call him Henry)
a50083.jpg

.... My 9n and 8n are mud brown..... brush scratched primer.... calf sh$t brindle wheels... ect....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back