value of a non-running 404

hubbub

New User
Hi, I have a buddy that has a IH 404 that doesn't run...
He stated he was mowing with it and the motor just died and would not even turn over but, he removed all the spark plugs and it would crank over with them removed (I'm guessing camshaft issues) then when he re-installed them it turned a couple revs and locked up again. Now he doesn't have the inclination to work on it and asked if I would be interested in buying it. I am but have no idea what it's worth with a possible scrap-iron motor. Any ball park guesses out there? I haven't gotten the serial number off it yet but it does have a loader on it and the tires are about 40% (medium wear with light weather checking). Also as far as I can tell it's a shorter stance (lower to the ground then others I've seen) so I'm wondering if this is a utility model rather than a row crop (my vast knowledge of IH's can be wrote on the inside of a matchbook cover).

Anyway, if you guys wouldn't mind throwing out a fair number if you were buying it I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Oh and if these were junk feel free to say so, so I can run the other way :lol:

Real hard to say since it could be from lack of oil or maybe just a bad starter or poor battery connections. Not likely to be a cam problem but more then likely one of the problems I just said. In that condition maybe $500 give or take a bit

Does the engine actually lock up?

Those symptoms could match a charging system not working. The engine would die from low voltage and the battery may not having enough charge to crank the engine. Removing the spark plugs would reduce the cranking load enough the allow the starter to crank the engine a few revolutions before the voltage was too low to even continue to do that.

(quoted from post at 00:21:54 07/23/15) Does the engine actually lock up?

Those symptoms could match a charging system not working. The engine would die from low voltage and the battery may not having enough charge to crank the engine. Removing the spark plugs would reduce the cranking load enough the allow the starter to crank the engine a few revolutions before the voltage was too low to even continue to do that.

With respect.....if that was the case, that guy would be better suited to baking cakes and candies and long walks on the beach....lmao

(quoted from post at 06:33:10 07/23/15)
(quoted from post at 00:21:54 07/23/15) Does the engine actually lock up?

With respect.....if that was the case, that guy would be better suited to baking cakes and candies and long walks on the beach....lmao

I'm certainly not going to say that is the situation here but I you would be surprised at how many times I've had service calls to check out engine problems only to find out the problem is low battery voltage.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back