Voltage regulator

Rrrdad

New User
After 2 years of fixing my steering box my voltage regulator sits there looking at me with one wire dangling. Where would this one wire go ?

After 2 years of fixing my steering box my voltage regulator sits there looking at me with one wire dangling. Where would this one wire go ?
I see you show as a new user, however you have been around going on two years based on the date shown as when you joined. I can look at your profile and see you have posted about a Ferguson TO35 on the Harry Ferguson Forum before. We can guess that is what your question is related to, however we don't know for certain that is what you are working now, we can't see it.

Besides telling what your machine is we need info on the electrical system you have. Pictures of the regulator and wire might help, but you need to tell what you are working on, generator or alternator, system voltage and ground, etc., as there can be a number of changes that could have been made in the years since your machine was built. Guessing is most likely to get you a bunch of answers that may or may not match with your machine's charging system.

TO35 12 volt. Tried starting this afternoon. It fired right up then quit after 10 seconds or so but that was it.

Attachments

• IMG_2702.jpeg
    IMG_2702.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2698.jpeg
    IMG_2698.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2695.jpeg
    IMG_2695.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2696.jpeg
    IMG_2696.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2700.jpeg
    IMG_2700.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 20
TO35 12 volt. Tried starting this afternoon. It fired right up then quit after 10 seconds or so but that was it.
The regulator went with a Delco 10DN externally regulated alternator. You have a Delco 10SI internally regulated alternator mounted on your engine. The regulator can go away. If that one wire on the regulator is still connected, where it should have been, it would be connected to the ammeter or intermittent positive source like the battery cable terminal of the starter switch or solenoid. You will have to chase that wire out.

As for the wiring on the alternator. The heavy wire on the post should go to the load side of the ammeter. The word in the left position (looking at the rear of the alternator) of the plug in connector is #1, the excitation wire. It should be connected to a switched power source. Depending what that source is a diode, indicator light, or a resistor maybe needed to prevent back feed from the alternator to the ignition system. The #2 wire (right side) is the voltage sending wire to give system voltage information to the regulator. It can be run to the alternator's output post, or battery cable post of the starter switch or solenoid.

You will have to chase the wires out to see where they go. Make a sketch as you go, It may help as time goes on.

So the one wire on the regulator would just go to the ammeter? That's its only function on my tractor?

So the one wire on the regulator would just go to the ammeter? That's its only function on my tractor?
From the left, the #3 terminal was the battery power terminal of that type of regulator. It carried power between the battery positive and the alternator output terminal, via the points inside the regulator.

It currently has no function as your alternator does not use that external regulator. If someone has decided to tie something else into that wire to get battery power, I can't tell you.

Ok great thank you. From what I'm gathering the starting issue is most likely has nothing to do with the regulator. Thank you much.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back