Weird idea MF-50 charging diagnostic

A weird idea came in mind this morning. No battery charging in my MF-50. Is there a manner to connect a 12 volt power supply
or battery charger to the ARM or/and FIELD wire from the generator to the control box to simulate the generator in order to
see if the control box is good. I have no acces to the control box due to the loader frame too close. If I can state that the box is good
I will take the generator at a repair shop. I would like to keep the tractor original otherwise will go to alternator.

Thanks for reading

Joe

Nope, no way no how. The control box “VOLTAGE REGULATOR” varies amount of grounding resistance between the field terminal and the chassis ground. This variation controls the amount the generator charges. There’s no way to get whatever device you want to connect to the system to react in a way that would test the voltage regulator. I will attach a troubleshooting guide put together by member John T. It gives you steps test the generator system on your tractor. Mr. T’s charging troubleshooting guide

Nope, no way no how. The control box “VOLTAGE REGULATOR” varies amount of grounding resistance between the field terminal and the chassis ground. This variation controls the amount the generator charges. There’s no way to get whatever device you want to connect to the system to react in a way that would test the voltage regulator. I will attach a troubleshooting guide put together by member John T. It gives you steps test the generator system on your tractor. Mr. T’s charging troubleshooting guide
Thank you Red for your reply greatly appreciated !
Joe

Test Delco generators this way, set engine to about 1500 RPM, then GROUND the Field terminal. If ammeter shows charge the REGULATOR is a problem and might just need the contacts cleaned inside. Next with engine off remove the fan belt and use a jumper wire from the hot battery post and clip other end to the generator ARMATURE post. A GOOD working generator will spin like a motor slowly. No spin, generator might just need the brushes freed up in their holders, they hang up with dust sometimes.

Test Delco generators this way, set engine to about 1500 RPM, then GROUND the Field terminal. If ammeter shows charge the REGULATOR is a problem and might just need the contacts cleaned inside. Next with engine off remove the fan belt and use a jumper wire from the hot battery post and clip other end to the generator ARMATURE post. A GOOD working generator will spin like a motor slowly. No spin, generator might just need the brushes freed up in their holders, they hang up with dust sometimes.
Thanks Dieseltech !

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back