What 530 TLB do I have?

NBraun

New User
I am trying to figure out what 530 I have. The Steering needs some looking at as it is incredibly loose going down the road.

The serial number on the Tractor is Model: 540-H, #6150296. The Plate on the Backhoe doesn't have a model, but is #4066934. I believe it is a model 31.

3XHz8kQl.jpg

n16Kt3vl.jpg

zzFmnrPl.jpg

vuIfJlrl.jpg
[/img:8f7d6594b0][/list]

The 540 is the gas standard (utility) tractor model as opposed to the agriculture general purpose model tractor in the 530 series. Standard, in part, refers to I-beam type, fixed tread front axle as opposed to the Ag GP adjustable front axle. The H in the model nr is the high speed gearing in the transmission as the 540 is often used in road and loader work.

Serial nr #6150296 is 1960 model year, the 530 series first year in production. 530 series built in 1960-64 are often referred to as early 530 as after that there are significant changes parts and function wise. The power steering cylinder is a Bendix.

Loose steering is often worn tie rod ends and other linkage/universals wear. Very common is worn steering lever studs and out of adjustment of the studs to the cam (worm gear) lash. Check the exposed linkages first and if fairly tight check the lash adjustment, if it is significantly out of adjustment it is best to open the cover in the booster first check the steering lever studs for wear as top wear can break the steering lever, (speaking of hens teeth to find a replacement).

In the exploded view item 41 & 42 are the lash adjust screw & lock nut. To adjust the steering lever studs lash in the cam grooves with the adjustment screw as shown in the following picks.

cvphoto152861.jpg

This is an older tractor showing the relative location of the adjust screw on the bottom of the bolster.

cvphoto152862.jpg

Steering lever stub to cam lash adjustment

cvphoto152863.jpg

Check this link for the original 530 parts manual (just delete the pop ups)
https://spare.avspart.com/catalog/case/60192/

Thank you! I've been trying to figure this out for a while! I appreciate the information. I know the linkages have some slop in them, but I'll take a closer look at everything. A few other questions.

The brakes also leave a bit to be desired. Is there adjustment in them to help alleviate this? I'm assuming they probably put this brake setup on some other tractors.

Lastly, where would the best place to find parts? I know the dealer would probably be the place to start, but they're probably going to be the most expensive option compared finding it online somewhere.

Thanks!

Hello NBraun welcome to YT! I do not know Case especially the TLB models that well. I am much more familiar with the IH and Farmall models and their parts diagram layouts. This is the first time I have seen avspare which I call an ..alternative parts lookup.. that the alternative site does not seem to match the manufacturers diagrams. I am linking the online catalog by the manufacturer, there in the ..Front axle system.. section shows the front axle layout where I do not see it in the avspare diagrams. As far as getting parts what you have said about the dealer option is true and sometimes extremely cost prohibitive. This site has some parts is you work down to your machine listing from the rectangle at the to that says ..Tractor Parts.. Often if you just web search for a part like ..Case 530CK tie rod end.. options will come up. For more specific parts often times if you use the actual part number as found on one of the sites that are linked you can often find parts that way.
CNHI Case 530CK online parts catalog

First of all, I am writing about the 530 utility tractor (model 540-H or L)which often has LH and based on the I-beam front axle and Bendix PS cylinder system. There is an industrial 530CK LH built the same years that has many different parts including the steering I referred to and different brakes. I can't tell the difference by pics, but from the different parts manuals you can figure that out. The link to the 530CK parts manual is at the bottom of this page.

This is the 540 brake system prior to sn 6165269, it is the same design as my pics but may have different p/n's so refer to the 530 utility prior 6165269 for p/n. These tractors are AKA no brakes Case. The only adjustment is the pedal height as covered in the text. They are differential shaft brakes so exposed to transmission oil mess/slippage if oil gets by that seal. There is a weep hole on the bottom of the covers, if not plugged, leaking seal oil will drip there.

Other frequent problems. The original balls were chrome plated which tends to wear off and rust causing sticking in the ramps. The ramps wear ridges over the years that impede smooth ball travel, smooth out small ridges with abrasive cloth/wire wheel, careful not to change configuration. Actuator disk assy springs break. Disk linings get embedded with rust/dust/crude, keep rod dust covers in decent shape. Moisture causes rust binding problems on everything.

cvphoto152929.jpg

cvphoto152930.png

cvphoto152931.jpg

You can buy parts from this YT web site that provides and supports this forum. If they don't have what you want, I recommend you contact John Saeli (315) 585-9826. John has many parts that are not listed on his website. He has been posting here almost as long as this site has been established in 1998 and is well known for parts supply and knowledgeable advice in these older tractors.

This is the 530CK parts manual link.
https://spare.avspart.com/catalog/case/57866/

Well, got the left brake tore apart. It makes much more sense now that I've had time to look at the diagrams. Looks like they're going to need a whole overhaul, as they are pretty rusty and there is not much left of the brake discs. Do you think these pressure plates are worth cleaning up?
JGPSSDll.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/MNdjoFSl.jpg[/img]

<a href=https://imgur.com/jxssPN6>
jxssPN6l.jpg title=source: imgur.com
</a>

<a href=https://imgur.com/JGPSSDl>
JGPSSDll.jpg title=source: imgur.com
</a>

<a href=https://imgur.com/MNdjoFS>
MNdjoFSl.jpg title=source: imgur.com
</a>

Rusty is better than oily in this case. I doubt you will find actuating discs anywhere but a salvage yard. I would smooth the brake disc side surface of any raised edges on the divots, use something flat like emery cloth on a board, for even, flat surface. Just lightly clean up rough edges. The ball ramps look surprisingly good in the pics. Check linkages and the actuating disc spring holes for excessive wear. Check splines on the brake discs for excessive wear. Renew all the balls and especially the actuators' springs as you want good, even tension. Renew the rubber dust cap.

Brake discs were still available aftermarket last I checked but cost was typically plus $200 per disc. John use to sell a complete relining kit for one disc at about $30. He also carried the springs and probably anything you need. In fact, I would call him up and refer to this post, he'll tell you what you need. He has probably overhauled more of these brakes than I have. You won't get a better price or service.

I confess that I am more interested in your loose steering, when you get into it, post the results.

Joe

I plan on giving a john a call today and seeing what my options are for parts, but I did find what what I believe I need on his website.

Hopefully I'll be digging into the steering soon. After talking with a buddy I remembered that when we first bought it we did tighten up the steering gearbox adjustment. It made the steering much better, but it's still not great. A little loose, and You'll be driving down the road going straight when the wheels decide you should actually be turning right. I have a feeling its a bit of everything, but mostly the fault of Part #27 in the schematic. Though I haven't been able to really tear into it, so we'll see.

<a href=https://imgur.com/8ThvpT5>
8ThvpT5l.png title=source: imgur.com
</a>

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back