What is it ??

I'm a volunteer at the Western Development Museum
in Saskatoon SK Canada, and a member of their Pioneer Threshermen's Club. One of our members brought in this item hoping some one could identify it. No one could, and we have some very old members who have been in framing for a long time. It seems to be an electrically heated cutting tool that cuts a groove about a 1/4 inch wide and deep while the blade is hot. any suggestions would be appreciated. Les Hollinger
c1643.jpg
 
Nancy on truck tires you will see that they are regroovable on the sales lit. When they are worn down you take them back to dealer and have new groove cut in them for more wear. a practice that is still around today but not on the family sedan like in the olden Days.
Walt
 
How about that I bought a '57 VW when I was stationed in Germany in '69 that had regroved tires on the front. The vehicle inspection caught the problem which was good. The groves upon inspection were down to the wire. Sweet car had 4 wheels, 3 sp. and one belt. Chugged around Germany with no problem. Initial cost was 125 dollars Life was simple. I bought a crescent wrench after I got the car and put under the seat. Driving to work one day and a really nasty noise coming from the rear pulled into an ESSO station popped the trunk hook and saw the belt had shreaded for the most part. Went into the station and bought out the man in charge and pointed to the problem. He went inside and pulled back a large diplay and sotred through a large pile of belts and handed it to me and I put it on the drive in uniform and pard a few marks and off to work.
 
The form has thrown a shoe was not able to edit the message. At least the thought came through.
 
The others are right it is a regroover. They don't do it much anymore because of labor costs. It works good as long as there's enough tread left to follow, but it takes awhile.

Jim
 
Ahhhh, the post-depression generations...not that I went through it (born 1931; always wondered how close I came to not being here!!) but I soaked up a lot...
Times were hard, Nancy; there wasn't always money for new or better used tires when yours went bad. Sometimes when nearly bald-or completely bald-there was enough rubber to cut a little more tread (baldies tend to slip and slide around in the wet, etc). This's not meant to be demeaning, just some history. Keep your fingers crossed we don't find ourselves doing it again...
 
Thanks very much for the information. The guys at the Museum will be happy to know. I was just a kid during WWII so I wouldn't have seen any of these. I doubt that they were used much in Canada.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top