What is my John Deere 4420 combine worth?

andy r

I have owned a very nice John Deere 4420 combine for 10 years. My dad owned it 15 - 20 years before I bought it. It only has slightly over 2000 hours on an always working tach. Tires are good. Paint is excellent. Pretty much done waxing all of the sheet metal and most of it looks like new. Will come with an excellent John Deere 443 corn head (low profile) and a low acre John Deere 213 platform (black reel, stainless, DAM, reel up/down, variable speed reel). Brakes work, but the may need brake fluid once during the season. Has air but I have never needed to use it. I assume it doesn't work. Cab is very clean with the original John Deere seat in very good condition. Engine is very strong, starts and runs well with no oil usage. Has Dail-a-matic header control. No dings or dents anywhere. I honestly can not think of anything I would do to it or the heads if I was going to take it to the field. When I went to a 6 row corn head/combine I kept it for a spare. But now I have mapping in the other combine and doubt I would ever use the Deere 4420. What do you guys think it is worth????? I see Deere 443 heads anywhere from $1500 to $5000. Deere 213 platforms any where from $750 to $3000. Deere 4420's anywhere from $1,500 to $15,000. Yes, the high end prices were from Tractor House. I would just sell it all as a package. Thanks everyone.

Location means a lot. Around here a 4420 would be to old and to small for what most would want. Without a working ac you couldn't give it away. I'd recommend getting the ac fixed before selling. Whenever I see someone mention a nonworking ac I can't help but start wondering what else they didn't fix.

I will second location makes a HUGE difference. In the mid-west your looking at maybe $2500-5000 at most auctions. In PA or many eastern states it could bring $10K plus with the headers you have. I would recommend internet advertising so you can find the "right" buyer for it.

With a sizable Mennonite community around here it would bring 10-13K as a package. Just a few years ago I saw a nothing special 4400 bring over 5,000 for just the base in the heart of Mennonite country here in the Finger Lakes region. Advertise it far and wide and realize that most Mennonites do not get to see electronic media so they don't typically see Craigslist so list in a farm paper or two. They will run pretty far for the right kind of item. A few hobby farms around as well that would love a classic JD combine.

Like others have said, location, location, location. Here I know of one guy who might be interested in something that small and most likely he wouldn't touch it for very much. But there are enough early Axle Flows around here there would be little interest. Now east of me 50 or so miles you could most likely get fair money for it. West the same distance? About the only people who would want it would be a scrap yard.

Rick

(quoted from post at 20:36:04 06/14/18) I have owned a very nice John Deere 4420 combine for 10 years. My dad owned it 15 - 20 years before I bought it. It only has slightly over 2000 hours on an always working tach. Tires are good. Paint is excellent. Pretty much done waxing all of the sheet metal and most of it looks like new. Will come with an excellent John Deere 443 corn head (low profile) and a low acre John Deere 213 platform (black reel, stainless, DAM, reel up/down, variable speed reel). Brakes work, but the may need brake fluid once during the season. Has air but I have never needed to use it. I assume it doesn't work. Cab is very clean with the original John Deere seat in very good condition. Engine is very strong, starts and runs well with no oil usage. Has Dail-a-matic header control. No dings or dents anywhere. I honestly can not think of anything I would do to it or the heads if I was going to take it to the field. When I went to a 6 row corn head/combine I kept it for a spare. But now I have mapping in the other combine and doubt I would ever use the Deere 4420. What do you guys think it is worth????? I see Deere 443 heads anywhere from $1500 to $5000. Deere 213 platforms any where from $750 to $3000. Deere 4420's anywhere from $1,500 to $15,000. Yes, the high end prices were from Tractor House. I would just sell it all as a package. Thanks everyone.

There's one selling tomorrow on a sellout auction here. See what it brings to give you an idea.

http://timslackauctionrealty.hibid.com/lot/41390946/1983-john-deere-4420-diesel-combine

Swiss..... there are a number of ways to skin a cat ...... and at least as many ways as placing a for sale ad in the discussion forum.

(quoted from post at 09:13:19 06/15/18) Swiss..... there are a number of ways to skin a cat ...... and at least as many ways as placing a for sale ad in the discussion forum.

Crazy horse,
Who’s posting an ad? Not my combine, not my auction site. I don’t care if it sells for a dollar or a million.

Combines like everything else are worth a lot more when you're selling rather than buying. I believe you already know what you want so post it at that price and see what shakes out. You can always cut the price. Good luck.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back