What is Rotella T oil 10w intended for

jhncp

I have a full 55 gal drum of 54101 Rotella T oil 10W. You would think the T would mean transmission but from what I looked up it sounds like it's for motor oil. I was hoping I could use it as hydraulics oil since I need that more and 10 is lighter than I want to use even in a gas motor.
cvphoto159687.jpg

cvphoto159688.jpg

cvphoto159689.jpg

cvphoto159690.jpg

cvphoto159691.jpg

it would be ok to use in the winter in them old gas tractors. as thats what we did back then,... 10wt in winter and 30wt in summer. or use it in the hyds. , as long as hytran is not recommended. that must be 50 year old oil.

API CF That is a engine oil spec.
MIL-L-2104 That is a military spec. I would have to look up what use they have for it.
CAT To-2 and Alison C-4, C-3 are both trans oil specs.

Not approved for Eaton/ Fuller Transmissions; Spicer/Dana Transmissions.

Looks like a trans hyd air compressor oil with specific specs.
Much like you can not use Ford trans fluid in a GM car.

As others have said, straight 10 wt engine oil. It will work as a replacement for AW32 hydraulic oil. Do not use it in a wet clutch/brake application.

The D312 in my IH Hydro 70 diesel calls for 10w oil for winter engine oil. It also calls for 10w diluted with 1 to 2 quarts of kerosene in extreme cold and 30w in summer.

(quoted from post at 18:00:20 07/30/23) better yet what is 0-16 wt motor oil used for seen it today at fleet farm

A lot of newer Toyota cars use 0w16 also. Keep a 55 gallon drum of it at the shop for cars that come in for oil changes.

0w16 use to be used in a lot of high end race cars for qualifying. Back then the stuff cost nearly $40 a quart.

(quoted from post at 19:20:56 07/30/23)
(quoted from post at 18:00:20 07/30/23) better yet what is 0-16 wt motor oil used for seen it today at fleet farm

A lot of newer Toyota cars use 0w16 also. Keep a 55 gallon drum of it at the shop for cars that come in for oil changes.

0w16 use to be used in a lot of high end race cars for qualifying. Back then the stuff cost nearly $40 a quart.

The tolerances in those engines are extremely tight, so they need lighter oil for proper lubrication.

BTW 0 doesn't mean "no viscosity." It means "less viscosity than 5-10-20-30-40-50, etc.." They thought the manufacturing tolerances that they have now were impossible in mass production when they came up with the scale.

New government Greenhouse Gas Regulations demanding lower 2 levels are driving lower viscosity engine oil trends. His 10 wt may be making a comeback.

I have a Dresser 530 front end loader. Manual calls for 10W oil in the hydraulics and transmission and I use 10W RotellaT. Works fine, does not mean you can use it like this for all brands.
DWF

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back