What is the difference between a Holstein and Angus ste

Price per pound will be less for the dairy breeds at any age. That does not mean profit is less tho. My customers prefer and pay me a premium for my holstiens when butchered and marketed direct. I usually have some holstiens and some beef breeds, but most request the holstien once they've had both. The holstiens always sell first, which works out well as any of the beef breeds that don't sell direct sell higher at the sale barn.

as an example, if there was a holstein in with angus or other beef steers in the ring the buyer would reject it. then be resold. then bring less money.

Well, your really comparing apples to oranges here.

Local auction barn has dairy influence sales once in awhile. All that means is, there might be a few Holstiens there that day. Instead of just going through un-announced on any other given sale day. Might be a Holstein buyer or two show up for those sales. Dairy guys have a tendency to know when that is, and have there steers there that day instead of some other time. Anyways, the last one they had, Holsteins were bringing about a dollar under what beef steers were bringing. If 900 lb beef steer was bringing 2.35 a lb, a 900 lb Holstien was around 1.35.

Takes more feed to get a Holstien where they need to be for slaughter. Not in a way that they eat more, but more so in the way that it takes longer. So they are on feed longer. Buyers take this into consideration when buying feeder cattle. So they don't bid up as much on the Holstien feeders.

As far as slaughtered and hanging on the rail, then its just a matter of meat grade then. The feed delima is over at that point. So its just whether the carcus meat gets graded as select, choice, or prime. Not many dairy steers will probably grade out as prime (personal opinion). Maybe not so much as they weren't capable, but moreso the extra feed wasn't put into them.

Bottom line, dairy cattle are bread up for dairy production. Beef cattle are bread up for meat production. You play around with genetics, and that's what you end up with. Your simply not starting out on the right foot if your raising a dairy animal for meat production. The genetics there, are for something else. Kind of just is what it is.

In my experience a Holstein will be trippleA grade at 2.5 years old if fed correctly. I have butchered lots of cattle and seen all kinds. I prefer to cut a beef breed as the carcass is smaller and easier to handle. A 2.5 year old Holstein steer can and often weighs 2400 lbs. a good finished beef weighs 14-1500. Taste I agree the older Holstein tastes better

Interesting discussion. I really know nothing about cattle, except it tastes good and I like ice cream!!! We have been thinking of getting some freezer beef. May have to see about trying Holstein. Everything someone like me hears or sees on labels in stores leads me believe that Angus is the preferred kind for the table.

Black angus breeders assoc. has one of the best marketing stories that the world has ever seen.

When I was at Ohio state in 1966 they were working what breeds they make the meat as red as possible. Shoppers prefer red color to .buy. Nothing to do with the taste it wouldnt sell if the color was off .
So today I prefer a dairy beef over the beef breeds ,tasted better in my opinion , grass feed has what I like also . Just finished A jersey steer
We process last fall. Very good taste , fat was located in different location ,because breed . That be a turn to what someone use to store prep and prepared meat.
Marketing will always win out over taste I think .

That's pretty close to what I've seen around here for a holstein that size. I saw a lot of blacks that size go for as high as 2.50 or more. Do the math on that one and you are doing okay on what you paid.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back