"what is the part number?"

DeltaRed

We frequently see where guys are asking for a part number. Mostly filters.But lots of other stuff too. Do they not know that a counter man can look it up?Do they think he isn't capable/able to do it? Do they think it makes them look 'smart' when they rattle off the number? Are they ordering on line?If on line,isnt there an online parts breakdown to reference?I can just call my local parts supplier,in a few minutes they have it.I dont need to do his job for him.I dont get it.

We frequently see where guys are asking for a part number. Mostly filters.But lots of other stuff too. Do they not know that a counter man can look it up?Do they think he isn't capable/able to do it? Do they think it makes them look 'smart' when they rattle off the number? Are they ordering on line?If on line,isnt there an online parts breakdown to reference?I can just call my local parts supplier,in a few minutes they have it.I dont need to do his job for him.I dont get it.
A lot of times when you have a part number you can do a search, using the number, and get a lot of results. Finding the part number using the particular machine is often times difficult. Then you can pick which ever result & price. If you go to a dealer, chances are, you will just pay the price they want and leave with it. I don’t think I have ever asked a parts guy for a part number so I can go home a do a search for the lowest price. Usually I try to find the number myself and do the search before I go to buy.

Someone in the audience may have a parts book. Many new tractor owners do not. No reason not to offer the information if you have it.

As far as the counter man ability, I have a local oreilly’s who claims they cannot get a group 1 6 volt because they have no listing for an 8N.

I've read numerous times where some implement dealer parts personnel have difficulty locating some part numbers. I know my local JD dealer parts personal have problems locating some part #s. Looking up part #s is very easy for some people & difficult for others. Also if I know part # of part I need I can check dealer inventory before using high priced fuel to drive to dealer only to determine it's not in stock. I suppose you're very lucky to have such knowledgeable parts personnel in your area.

Last edited:
Whats the point of this post? Just want to tell everyone you’re smarter than them? If you can count on a guy behind a counter to correctly find a part number, count your blessings. It isn’t happening here or most places. I had a counter guy tell me he couldn’t find the part number for a Ford 3000 temp sensor, one of the most common parts ever. Not to mention most of us no longer have local dealers to work with. If I want parts, I have to order them myself.

Whenever I need parts I do all of the research I possibly can. I usually have a part number. The parts guys all appreciate it. It saves time. One of the dealers, which adds a surcharge onto the OEM list price, at least discounts me back down to the list price because of the time I save them. (I don't do enough volume to count for anything).

Whenever I need parts I do all of the research I possibly can. I usually have a part number. The parts guys all appreciate it. It saves time. One of the dealers, which adds a surcharge onto the OEM list price, at least discounts me back down to the list price because of the time I save them. (I don't do enough volume to count for anything).
That would torque me off enough to walk out without the parts.

Delta, they may or may not be ordering it online. Often the case is that they are ordering it online so knowing the OEM part number and searching by it often opens up several more options of where to get the part. For example only, say you call your local supplier for X tractor and you are wanting a brake disc, he says yes I have one for $180. If you know the part number you look it up online and you find one for $60. Of course there is always a question of what is the difference in quality between the two.
Another purpose is as others have alluded to is two eyes confirming the number is correct is always better than only one set.
I understand the confusion from someone who grew up knowing only one way to obtain a part was to drive over or call your local parts guy. And I echo the comment about if you have a good parts guys that rarely lets you down count your blessings.
Lastly, obtaining more knowledge is rarely a bad thing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back