What is your thoghts on this tractor

300guy

A friend of mine asked me what I knew about a 424. I have never been around one before. It has a Ford 701(??) loader on it with a trip bucket. What is the normal price for this tractor? It has 152 hours on it and I think the tires are fairly good. It is on an auction Sat and he wants to know if it is something worth bidding on since it has a simple loader that he could use on the farm he manages.

This tractor does have live PTO doesn't it?? Any pros and cons about this tractor??

152 hours on a real old tractor seems very suspicious. But there are no real stand out issues with these tractors. They provide good service. All normal checks include tightness of steering, wear on clutch and brake. PTO operation, and tire condition. Tractor Data .com will provide specifics. Jim

There is no "normal price" for any old tractor. Prices are all over the map depending on the market, condition of the tractor, and the area where the tractor is in. Then, how badly the two people bidding on the tractor want it.

Don't believe for a minute that the tractor actually has 152 hours on it. While it is possibility, it is a REMOTE possibility. Such a tractor would be sent to a big collector auction, not sold on a local consignment sale. It'd be a museum piece. Most likely the tachometer has been replaced recently, and the tractor has several thousand hours on it.

I bought a 2424, the industrial version of the 424 back in 1988 and would not part with it for the world. Its just the right size for working in the woods, pulling logs, plowing snow, etc. I run a wood splitter off the hydraulics. It should have live power, but you need to check, I think some did come without it.

Check the usual things, water in the oil, oil in the water. Check the front end for cracks or welds due to the loader use. All the issues I had were small ones, other than that the ring gear was bad when I bought it and I eventually fixed it 25 years later. Parts have been no problem.

Tim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back