What model is my John Deere 2 row corn planter

Hey all, I just picked up a 2 row John Deere corn planter and the guy I bought it from wasnt sure what model it was. Anyone have any idea? Also the guy said the row marker just drops straight down. It doesnt fold out. Im not sure how thats supposed to be setup. Or if anyone knows where I can buy standard row markers for this setup. The last thing is the disk openers are on the front by the three point hitch instead of on the rear with the planter. can that yellow bracket be switched around that then the disk openers switched so the point of the openers faces forward?
cvphoto127977.jpg

cvphoto127978.jpg

cvphoto127979.jpg

cvphoto127980.jpg

I realize they are for the fertilizer, but Im used to the disk openers be on the back next to the planter. Them on it front makes it tight to the 3pt on the tractor. But I dont think Im able to flip them around and put them on the back. Do you know what model the actual planter sections with the runners are?

Its a pieced together planter from john deere planter parts. Not a JD factory made planter, Home- made.. The two row units are JD no-71 flex plate with shoes openers.. Front yellow disk-openers are for dry fertilizer placement by your seed.. Dry fertilizer hopper is off a JD 490 or 495 planter. All has been mounted onto a JD three-point tool bar.. Whole unit looks great..

Also; ? It has no row-markers for your guide for the next two-rows.. What you see on the one side on the tool bar is a parking stand; up-side down; foot up.. You should be able to get row markers off a junk JD 495 planter and adapt to this..

I agree that it is a custom setup made by cannibalizing stuff from other planters. It's an interesting setup and should work as long as what you are planting into isn't too trashy. I use three #71s on a tool bar for planting food plots for deer and they work great, but they do have disc openers.

Thats a mutt, but is sure does look functional. I see you have shoes for the seed hoppers, just make sure you have a relatively clean seed bed. Fertilizer looks functional, but most dont use them anymore. Overall it looks nice. I wouldnt worry about row markers since it is a two row, set your tire width to match planting width and plant wheel track to wheel track and all will be well.

Those are 71 units, for planting only. If your not using
fertilizer and the disk openers are getting in the way just
take them off.

Too many different period parts, especially for a 2 row. Dont think I have ever seen a 3 point, 2 row John Deere corn planter. Nice paint and logos. But like they say if you put lipstick on a pig, it is still a pig.

Move the tires out on the tractor and you won't have problems getting into the openers. Growing up we had a 2 row planter on a Ford 2N, wheels were set out to not compact the dirt in the rowsand the front tires were the marker for row spacing.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back