What's Up With These Sleeves?

lastcowboy32

So... this project has sat a while. It's a little tractor (Jinma 284) that we actually used to mow, rake and bale hay with.

Yes... a 28hp glorified garden tractor can run a haybine and a New Holland 276 baler.

Anyway, the stress ended up killing the engine.

So, I got a rebuild kit.

Including sleeves.

I'm familiar with press in sleeves, ala the International D407 and DT407 engines.

The sleeves in this engine seem to be almost a slip fit.

A couple of them, popped up just by moving the machine with the head off, which rotated thr crank shaft.

The friction of the pistons was enough to lift them.

When I put these new sleeves in, do I need to seal them somehow? Or... is there a type of sleeve that doesn't really tighten into the engine until you put the head gasket on it and torque the head down?

mvphoto73666.jpg

mvphoto73667.jpg

The head gasket holds the sleeves down, just use a bolt and flat washer to hold the sleeves down until ready to put the head on. Slip fit sleeves have been used on some
engines for years, early IH D236/282, and Hercules are two engines I recall now...

I had a sleeve in my Ford 960 popping up and down, because that one sleeve had no gasket bearing on it. The solution was Permatex sleeve sealer. A bonus is that sleeve sealer is supposed to enhance cooling.

(quoted from post at 05:41:47 04/16/21)

I had a sleeve in my Ford 960 popping up and down, because that one sleeve had no gasket bearing on it. The solution was Permatex sleeve sealer. A bonus is that sleeve sealer is supposed to enhance cooling.

Thanks people.

This tractor has sat for four years now. I bought the rebuild kit two years ago. There are two reasons why.
1. I bought other tractors since then, that are better sized to run the haybine, baler, etc.

2. These sleeves have irked me. I just had visions of pitting the whole engine back together... starting it up... and coolant just spewing into the combustion chamber and out the head gasket.

There are no "service centers" for these machines. There really is no dealer to ask anymore.

So... my anxiety just festered... now... I'm to the point where I just want to bolt it all back together and see what happens.

It was actually pretty amazing, when I went through the tubs of new and old parts to lay them out... as I touched each one, I started to remember how it goes back together...

We'll see.

(quoted from post at 03:27:07 04/17/21)
(quoted from post at 05:41:47 04/16/21)

Thanks people.

This tractor has sat for four years now. I bought the rebuild kit two years ago. There are two reasons why.
1. I bought other tractors since then, that are better sized to run the haybine, baler, etc.

2. These sleeves have irked me. I just had visions of pitting the whole engine back together... starting it up... and coolant just spewing into the combustion chamber and out the head gasket.

There are no "service centers" for these machines. There really is no dealer to ask anymore.

So... my anxiety just festered... now... I'm to the point where I just want to bolt it all back together and see what happens.

It was actually pretty amazing, when I went through the tubs of new and old parts to lay them out... as I touched each one, I started to remember how it goes back together...

We'll see.

That reminds me of my Datsun roadster project. The original mission was four months worth, so I was not concerned with remembering things. As the mission crept I grew increasingly concerned about what I had taken apart early on. At four years out I ran into a few puzzles but it went well for the most part.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back