When Did Flat Planter Chain Go Sky-High??

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTR

Just priced a 10 ft. roll of flat detachable #33 planter chain for a Covington Planter I'm rebuilding. $70 plus shipping for a 10 foot roll!! Priced it 2 places online and from (2) Covington Planter suppliers (using our shop acct). Our resellers dealer acct. didn't save much money at all as Covington offers it in the necessary 5 foot length rather than 10 ft. $45 for a 5 foot piece. I bought 10 foot rolls about 5-6 years ago for $28-30 a roll (either from Agri-Supply or Shoup) and just have used up what I had. Anyone have a source for some at a better price? I better start looking for people having dead/old stock of this stuff, as it is like gold now!

Attachments

• Covington Planter Chain.png
    Covington Planter Chain.png
    208.8 KB · Views: 19
Maybe Baum Iron in omaha nebraska.
They don't have it either. I should Also mention that the supply companies that specialize in carrying this type of sprocket chain do not offer a #33 chain. Is that an odd size??

If you have not purchased much in 5 to 6 years you are likely amazed. The whole American economy is under water thanks to many people who think the more money you print the more you have.
I agree with you there, but for this stuff, I'd not have expected that. I figured the price wouldn't have over-doubled!

No political comments, hate speech or bigotry of any kind will be tolerated. Violations will be removed and posting privileges may be permanently revoked without notice.​

Just priced a 10 ft. roll of flat detachable #33 planter chain for a Covington Planter I'm rebuilding. $70 plus shipping for a 10 foot roll!! Priced it 2 places online and from (2) Covington Planter suppliers (using our shop acct). Our resellers dealer acct. didn't save much money at all as Covington offers it in the necessary 5 foot length rather than 10 ft. $45 for a 5 foot piece. I bought 10 foot rolls about 5-6 years ago for $28-30 a roll (either from Agri-Supply or Shoup) and just have used up what I had. Anyone have a source for some at a better price? I better start looking for people having dead/old stock of this stuff, as it is like gold now!
First and foremost is demand for slat (flat) chain is just not there like it used to be. Very little in the way of new equipment is manufactured using it in the past 45 years. Therefore the cost to manufacture has to be spread over a smaller quantity made. Be thankful you can get it and in comparison to some other parts the price is fair. The area Case IH dealer charges almost 50 dollars per piece on an IH 16 inch plow share for a 720 plow. Depending on the soil that share may only last 10 acres.

I agree with you there, but for this stuff, I'd not have expected that. I figured the price wouldn't have over-doubled!
I hate to say it but some sizes have almost gone up 3 to 4 times the cost of 5 years ago.ITs not only chain but alot that we use on the farm

Reactions: RTR
Status
Not open for further replies.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back