Which tractor to buy?

I'm looking for a budget tractor to use on my acreage for feeding horses. I have found a few on local adds for less than $4500, all old iron with loaders in running condition. I'm a heavy duty mechanic by trade so fixing small issues wouldn't be an issue but I would like something reliable that will last a long time without major issues. These are the 4 options that stand out to me.

1: 1949 McCormick W6 tractor. My grandfather had one and said it was a good tractor back in the day. We also had a super WD9 so are familiar with it. Still any more info would be nice. I know the 9s had issues with cracking heads, is this the same with the 6? https://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/calgary/1949-mccormick-deering-w6-tractor/1514839871?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

2: Massy 44, gas, year unknown. Has a bunch of new parts. https://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/strathcona-county/massey-harris-44-tractor/1511374047?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

3: 1958 case 400 diesel.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/red-deer/tractor-with-loader-in-good-working-condition/1509637302?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

4: John Deere 70 diesel
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-farming-equipment/red-deer/john-deer-70-tractor-diesel/1507538046?utm_campaign=socialbuttons&utm_content=app_ios&utm_medium=social&utm_source=ios_social

Any thoughts or knowledge about any of these would be appreciated. [/img:eb6b114244]

the first two , w6 and 44 would be the most reliable as they are pretty trouble free and gas. a john deere and loader with hand clutch is
awkward. the case is good too but non of these are a good loader tractor. unless you are making small bales. i have experience in all 4
tractors.

The Case is the best fit, and probably the handiest of the lot. The JD 70 is a next choice. But there are many other options like ford 5000 series,
IH/Farmall 450 through 656. Massy Ferguson 165. JD 4010 and 4020. The first two on the list are just not going to make you happy. Jim

Not what you want to hear I'm sure, but a
farmall 460 gas is a really reliable
tractor, and I've heard a good loader
tractor idk about the diesel. Of those
four you mentioned tho I'd go with the
case. Just my 2 cents take it or leave it
-Garrett

Well,the case would be best,but i think you could get a much better tractor than any of those for that price.i am sure can find a massey ferguson 135 with loader,and if you look in the right places maybe a 165,or even an ih utility like a 350u,all of which came gas or diesel and are great for what you need..i bought a fully functoinal massey ferguson 203 diesel tlb for $1600,so don't rush into a deal.

To use as a utility tractor to feed with I wouldn't want any of those,none are what I'd call handy.I'd be looking for some type of gas tractor for easy starting in the Winter and a gas will cost less than a diesel most times.I don't know your area but in my area $4500 will get a good tractor.

Just for info, I need something with a loader, and can only afford to spend $4000 or less. Everything else out here is more expensive than this, with something like a 4020 or a mid sized massy or case with a loader running between $8000-16,000 depending on condition. These were literally the most promising running tractors with loaders I've seen in Alberta Canada for under $5000 outside of auctions which could be higher or lower depending on the day and no guarantee on condition.

If anyone in Or near Alberta, Canada knows something better in good condition with a loader for less than $4000 send me the info.

You should be able to find something newer and better suited for your needs, especially if you want to move round bales. I would think for $4500 you could find a 1650, 656, 4010 or something similar in Massey or Ford. The three I mentioned are all 10,000 lb tractors with the tires loaded and a set or two of rear weights. If you are just chugging around with pickup sized loads of small squares on a trailer or wagon, the Case would be the nicest of the four you mentioned, but unless the tractor is like new, I would bargin that price down somewhat. I paid $6200 for an 1850 in good condition with a loader and a 3 yard dump trailer around 8 years ago. Good luck.

(quoted from post at 14:49:59 08/16/20) You should be able to find something newer and better suited for your needs, especially if you want to move round bales. I would think for $4500 you could find a 1650, 656, 4010 or something similar in Massey or Ford. The three I mentioned are all 10,000 lb tractors with the tires loaded and a set or two of rear weights. If you are just chugging around with pickup sized loads of small squares on a trailer or wagon, the Case would be the nicest of the four you mentioned, but unless the tractor is like new, I would bargin that price down somewhat. I paid $6200 for an 1850 in good condition with a loader and a 3 yard dump trailer around 8 years ago. Good luck.

A 4010 in our area in running shape with a loader is about $10,000. If your lucky and find a deal you might find one as low as $7000. Trust me, if I could find one at that price, I'd jump all over it.

I'm a John Deere guy, and I will tell you that you will not be happy with the JD70 even though they are a great tractor; I just would not want a newbi on a hand clutch tractor and to opperate aloader.

I do not think you will like any of the tractors that you listed. Save your money and find a JD3020 / IH656 / Oliver 1650 / White / Massy.....Anything but what you listed

Having grown up on Two Bangers I vote for the JD70 but think you'd like a 720 or 730 since they had a real three point. If you wouldn't need a three point the W6 would be my next choice. Basically a Farmall M. I used a MH44 as a kid and still have one. A good tractor but I'd still prefer the W6. I have no experience with the Case so no comment.

well i am in alberta canada and i have a super w6 T A mccormick with a loader you can have. e- mail me.

yes right on the money ! none of those are loader tractors espesially the JOHN DEERE ! one hand on clutch one hand to shift and no hands for
loader! the w6 is the closest for that work. got to remember none of those are power steering and with wieght on front they are a bear. but
for small light bales you can manage.

Also if that 70 is a narrow front, it will not like working in the mud with a load on the loader. Yep hand clutches are for those of us who where trained to use them when a mere pup. As a kid our loader tractor was a 46 A, better then a fork but you needed two extra arms. Good strong arms.

Of the tractors on your list, IMHO the 400 Case would make a better loader tractor than the rest, not a great loader tractor, just better than the others on your list. I agree with the others, look for a 1960's, 1970's or 1980's tractor and loader. Newer tractors have better: hydraulics; real power steering; good brakes; a real 3 point hitch; live PTO; much better ergonomics; better parts availability; sometimes a quick attach loader; easier starting diesel engine; and easier shifting transmissions.

$4,000 Canadian is equivalent to $3,000 to $3,300 US? You may need to bump that up by 50 to 100 percent to get something that is truly handy and reliable. Can you sell a horse to help pay for their keep and reduce your chores?

The W6 an WD9 are a wheetland or standard tread reactor and loader on them would have to mount on outside of wheels like a Deerer AR that I saw a loader on and loader would be about 9' wide and they would not have poert steering. The Massey could it also be of the wheatland style that would still need that outside of wheels style loader. The Deere needing 4 hounds to opperate it would still be better than either the W6 or WD9. As long as it is not also a standard tread tractor. I know knothing about the Case. So depending on how it is made the only workable option if it is also not a wheatland tractor. And up there I dought there are many row crop tractors that could handle a cultivator for corn so if it cannot handle the cultivator you do not want it.

I would recommend a 150 or 165 Massey. I think those could be had for $4500 or less with a loader. I would steer away
from a 135. Front end (axle and bushings in particular) usually takes a lot of wear on those when equipped with a
loader.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back