Who has used a 56 Planter, Need your help!

300guy

So I got back up to the farm today to do some other things and to do some work on the planter also. I need help with 2 items.

1. Has anyone worked with the marker switcher? From the manual there is a piece that switches and blocks the ball on the marker chain. The switcher was half gone and the other piece broke off and was like hard plastic. Who has replaced or messed with this item? See pictures.

2. Second I got milo plates and brought a seed box home with me. They are C-sorghum-13 60 plates that someone here told to get. So in the manual there is no reference to a 60 cell plate. I found a 483022-R1 plate but it is a 40 cell plate. So I am not sure what setting on page 18 I will be using since there is not a 60 listed??? And what filler plate will I be using for this plate???
cvphoto163432.jpg

cvphoto163433.jpg

cvphoto163434.jpg

It has been a long time since I messed with the old mechanical marker switcher. By looking at your pictures it looks to be all there. The little block like deal with the pin hooked to the spring in your first picture needs to flip back and forth from one side to the other to hold the correct marker up and let the other down. I would oil the mechanism as I used it so the dirt and dust didn't bind it up during planting as well as the drive chains and clutches usually each fill up. That u shaped piece sticking out towards you in the first picture just holds the block so it can flip from one side to the other as the balls travel by the block. The ball switches the block from one side to the other as they travel through the bracket by the block and flips it. One of the reasons for oiling during use so it does not get stiff from dirt and dust. The balls are held in the correct link with a pin that can be driven out to change the location on the chain if it wears so they will not switch. The balls are cast or steel. Can't say what the block is made of. Really pretty simple deal. IF the chain is to long one one side it will not switch also. There is/was adjustment at the marked for the chain by moving it in the slot after removing the pin/bolt from the hole that keeps it in place during use. Hope this helps.

Kinda but what is the part used to switch it? It must be missing as there is a hole in the u shaped piece and nothing to catch the balls on the chain.

For your marker parts try---Berksire Eqiupment Royal Center, Indiana 219-643-3115 used IH planter parts???

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back