width of mower

James Gatto

New User
what is the widest cutter of any kind I can safely use to mow my field with Massey Fergeson 35 deluxe. I currently have a basic 5 foot wide brush hog from tractor supply
 
what is the widest cutter of any kind I can safely use to mow my field with Massey Fergeson 35 deluxe. I currently have a basic 5 foot wide brush hog from tractor supply
Welcome to the forums.

The answer depends on the terrain conditions and what is being mowed/cut, not just cutter width. I am going to say a 6 feet rotary cutter would be about max for a MF 35 in most conditions. It would likely require gearing down and/or taking less than a full width cut depending on those conditions at times. Your current 5-foot cutter will likely allow you to keep ground speed up while taking a full cut.
 
Welcome to the forums.

The answer depends on the terrain conditions and what is being mowed/cut, not just cutter width. I am going to say a 6 feet rotary cutter would be about max for a MF 35 in most conditions. It would likely require gearing down and/or taking less than a full width cut depending on those conditions at times. Your current 5-foot cutter will likely allow you to keep ground speed up while taking a full cut.
thanks a lot, I’m new to all this. just to get it mowed I would let the local farmers have all the hay on the field, but they said there’s a lot of weeds growing and they couldn’t justify it with the cost of fuel which I do understand. I mowed the whole thing went with my 5 foot rotary cutter and it just takes forever, that’s why I was asking.
 
thanks a lot, I’m new to all this. just to get it mowed I would let the local farmers have all the hay on the field, but they said there’s a lot of weeds growing and they couldn’t justify it with the cost of fuel which I do understand. I mowed the whole thing went with my 5 foot rotary cutter and it just takes forever, that’s why I was asking.
if there is much material to be cut, going to a wider cutter will require more power than your 5-foot cutter and reduce ground speed, which means cutting will take longer.

What gear are you cutting in now? Are you running the engine at PTO rated speed?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top