Steve@Advance

Looks like the Windows 10 install threat has gotten a little sneakier!

Got the "box" again this morning, almost x'ed it, but took a closer look.

It said my computer was scheduled to install on such and such date. No, I did not schedule any such thing!

Upon reading the fine print, there was a link to click to stop the automatic update. I clicked it, canceled the install.

So, read the fine print! Otherwise they will make the decision for you!

I accepted the upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 8.1 about six months ago. I am certainly not sorry that I did. Windows 8 was an absolute nightmare for me!

Steve@Advance,

Well, I think I'll probably be upgrading soon. Boss did it at work and it seems ok. (I just don't like their sneaky way of coming in the back door of our computers and doing this!!).

However, I figure it's kind of inevitable... since they will eventually stop supporting the older operating systems.

2-3 years ago (whenever it was) that they quit supporting XP, it seemed like my computer just got slower and sloooower. So we had a guy put in a new hard drive and went with windows 7 rather than XP, since we knew support would be ending.

And I don't think I'm computer savvy enough to go to some free downloaded operating system. (Might just consider Apple next time I need a new computer though... getting tired of the MS pains in the neck.)

I bought a new computer about so many years ago. came with 7 but tow or three days after I got it they called and said O you have 8 for free and bring it back in. Dumb me did so. Tooke me about two years to get where I could do something on 8 now they want me to change again. My daughter says it is the way to go but after the last deal I was holding out but your statement may make me pull the trigger.

I did it all by myself... its 10 x better than before.
I need to do my wife's computer, that thing is almost useless.
Grant

I don't know diddly, about what I am doing, but returned to my puter, after a 2 day absence, wanting to check on a bank account, and found that Microsoft, had installed 10 on my computer during my inactivity. I was supposed to click on accept. I rejected it, and they took 2 hours restoring my win 8, causing my bank account checkup,to wait, when I didn't have the time to wait!

I have been hitting Ctrl-Alt-Del and using the task manager to
end the Windows 10 notice. I also have Updates set to ask permission
to install. Seems to be working.
I am in the process of cloning my hard drive so I can install Windows 10
and boot to either 10 or 7.

I am voting with my dollars. I will NEVER own another MS product. I am sick and tired of their monopolies tactics on technologies. I have ordered an Apple computer. I am not an Apple fan but I HATE MS with a passion over this 10 update crap.

As a company you can offer me your product. DO not try an trick me into your product and never force your product on me. MS has failed on all of those counts. So anything that has MS involved will not be getting any of my money in the future.

I do not wish to upgrade to "10", either, and will resist it as long as I can.

But we know it is futile, eventually the older versions will not be functional with programs or browsers or webpages that we need and we will have to update, or drop off of the 'net.

I don't see where JD's "solution" is anything I care to get involved with, either, as apple's corporate values have NOTHING in common with my personal values or Christian upbringing, or (likely) of a fair number of the other denizens who post here.

I wish I'd taken the time, a long time ago to get familiar with LINUX so I would know if that is a solution I could deal with.

Sweetfeet

Sort of like "If rape is inevitable work out how to enjoy it" brought to a level of commercial acceptance?

JD Seller,
The Gates Foundation is the main force behind Common Core.
That alone would prompt me to abandon M$ products.

It looks like M$ will soon start a monthly or yearly charge for Windoze.

Just curious as to why you don't want Windows 10.I know some versions have been bad news but this one seem to work OK. If the cheap junk computer I have at work can run it then anything can.

I get those windows 10 upgrade boxes too, I have 8.1. A couple of weeks ago I turned on my newest laptop and it started the download without my permission, It took over 90 minutes to do the download. I figured what the heck, I'll try it.
I hated it. My computer was much slower and I didn't like the layout of the programs, I'm at that age that I don't like change. The biggest complaint was how much slower my computer was running. It said I had 30 days to try it and could go back to 8.1 if I wanted and that is what I did. I'm now getting the W10 boxes again.

Winduhs 10 is not inevitable. My main computer, an IBM laptop, is so old, the hardware won't even support XP. It's still running win 9x, and can get here (and most other places on the web I might need to get to) with only minor issues (mostly due to Javascript being so outdated, but there are simple workarounds). SWMBO's replacement for her XP laptop is Win8.1, and if you are used to using a computer with keyboard, mouse and "programs" rather than a smartphone with touch screen and 'apps', it sucks. Win10 at least goes back to a "desktop", or so I'm told, so for SWMBO it will be be a more functional version than 8.

As for my antique hardware, I started an install of Puppy Linux on a SSD (works well on old hardware), but got hung up on a wireless driver - it's not that I'm not smart enough to figure it out, I just don't have the time to. I need to find a Linux Geek. Once it works, no more tinkering necessary, unless I want to. Upgrades are optional. Security is far better than M$, and nearly as good as Apple. After I get my antique going fully, then the XP laptop goes to Linux as an intro for SWMBO. Win 10 (as a "free upgrade") is the last M$ OS I'll ever participate with, and only begrudgingly.

Even though Apple products work pretty flawlessly, I still don't like their "monopoly", nor their corporate ethics (offshoring money and Chinese sweatshop production, complete with suicide prevention nets to keep their workforce alive).

Sorta like politics, there are not just two options, and I'm not choosing Y over Z just because I hate Y less and don't want Z to win. There are more flavors of Linux than Baskin Robbins has ice cream, and if you don't like one flavor, you can try another. I've used Apple, and MS, and LInux, and none of them are really "hard" to figure out, they're all just "slightly different", and what Apple and MS (and the Demicans and Republicrats) are counting on, is that people will stick with what they know.

There is a reason that MS products have over 95% of the market and Apple has less than 5% of the market.

Apple is:

1) over priced.

2) Attitude - after you paid too much for a product, they think that they still own it, and that they have the right to tell you how to use it.

3) Apple users are for the most part like members of a cult. They shell out whatever the great JOBS (now COOK) dictates, and do it willingly and without complaint. Kind of like Prius drivers.

My work computer downloaded it automatically last week. Turn the computer on walked away come back 20 min later and it was downloading. I had to wait till it finished then i uninstalled it..

(quoted from post at 08:16:44 05/29/16) Why in the world would anyone run Windows at all?
ecause "it's the easy thing to do". Billions of dollars, research and psych studies, plus thousands of programmers make it so. Ditto with Apple. ;)

All of my computers on my home network run XP.
My internet computer finally died and the $249 replacement computer came with Windows 10.
Really not that bad, but it takes some time to turn off all the background stuff. I still have a ways to go.
One thing that surprises me a little. This new computer is easily 4 times as powerful as the one it replaced.....but sometimes...slower.
Sigh...back into 'services' or 'uninstall' or the registry, to shut more unneeded stuff down.
(I honestly don't care what the background stuff is doing...but if it is running, it's stealing horsepower...unacceptable)

tip, with windows, it's easy to put a shortcut on the taskbar to the network setting to enable/disable your network/internet connection. Disable when you are walking away from your computer, enable when you sit back down.
(or if you are just doing non-internet computer stuff)
Even MS can't get thru a no internet at all wall...yet..lol

(quoted from post at 08:38:05 05/29/16) There is a reason that MS products have over 95% of the market and Apple has less than 5% of the market.

Apple is:

1) over priced.

2) Attitude - after you paid too much for a product, they think that they still own it, and that they have the right to tell you how to use it.

3) Apple users are for the most part like members of a cult. They shell out whatever the great JOBS (now COOK) dictates, and do it willingly and without complaint. Kind of like Prius drivers.

Not only that. Does anyone remember when the feds went after MS back in the 90's? Bill Gates lost and was fined several million $$. Instead of paying money he negotiated a deal to donate computers to schools. That was a way of not only paying the fine but it got millions of children taught to use MS systems and computers. There are some conspiracy theories on that deal that might not be too far fetched. Bill Gates is a big supporter of the family that occupied the WH at that time.

Jim, I believe those statements should be qualified with a "Some...", perhaps even a "Many..." Not all M$ or Apple or Prius users are blind to any or all other options, they just pick the one that works best for them at the moment of choice. I can't fault them for that. Should the balance swing away from their current choice, some would choose differently. I do agree, that some blindly follow whenever and whatever their "Idol" spits out. But as is well known here, "Ya can't fix stupid".

Windows 10 is an attempt by Microsoft to tap into the revenue stream that floats Google and Facebook.

Everything you type, every page you visit, every program you run is logged and reported back to home base so they can display targeted advertising. It doesn't bother them a bit that they are using your computer and network connection to record all that data and taking up space on your monitor to show the ads.

It's a desperate move by a company that's swirling around the drain; smart phones and online applications have replaced the old paradigm of Windows desktop applications.

Pretty much because the rest of the world does. That doesn't make it the best - just what you are stuck with.

My local confuser geek, who was a Micro-soft advocate 100%, is now becoming somewhat sour on MS. Biggest thing he dislikes about 10 is that it won't do nearly as wide a range of things XP did, and is more difficult to use than XP or 7. He is now doing quite a business removing MS systems and installing various versions of Linux for his customers. He's pushing Linux, in my opinion, simply because he's not hooked up with Apple.

As far as Apple philosophy being counter to what most of us believe, if you tried to avoid doing business with any corporation whose philosophy disagrees with most of us on this blog, you would be leading a stone age existence, if even that good. Gates and Jobs were geniuses. Ones social philosophy is about as absurd as the other. MS has screwed up BG TIME with this Win 8-8.1-10 fiasco anyway you look at it.

And yeah, my computer worked slower with 7 than XP and 10 is even slower.

I had the same deal a few days ago, and reported the same "Read Carefully". Very devious method to force one into something they don't want. Shame ( and a pox) on MS !

I honestly don't know this answer because I don't run Windoze, but here goes:
After Windows 10 is downloaded, you have to click on the "Agree" or "Disagree" box. What happens if you click on "Disagree"?
(BTW, been on Ubuntu for 10+ years.....flawlessly)

(quoted from post at 13:38:05 05/29/16) There is a reason that MS products have over 95% of the market and Apple has less than 5% of the market.

Apple is:

1) over priced.

It's sad we don't have more choices besides M$, Apple, Linux,...???

I'm not sure what the point is of this rant about Apple.

Who cares who has what % of whatever.
Buy & use what suites you.
If you think you're getting' hosed, move on to something else.
All three of your points are boilerplate jabber.

1) If you compare an M$ Signature series machine with a Mac, they're the same $.

2) How is Apple telling you how to use their machines?
Don't give me the walled-garden nonsense.
Are they forcing you to upgrade your software?
What are they doing?

3) This is just a childish & stupid statement!

You are, of course, entitled to your own opinions. However, there is TRUTH in what I said. I was there, and a computer hobbyist before Mac. I saw how customers were robbed.

I worked on a computer last week and if you clicked "Decline" nothing happened.
We had to click "accept" and let it install Windows 10 and the revert back to Windows 7 after it finished.
On another one the "Decline" button worked and it reverted back.

If you are using Windows 8 you will like Windows 10. It is far
better than 8. You will have to update to Windows 8.1 first if
you don't already have it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back