Workshop press update

Hi, feels like I have presses coming out of my ears after all the time that I’ve spent researching what’s available. Well, I’ve taken the plunge and pushed the boat out a very long way.... not so much off-shore, more like crossing the Atlantic!!!! I was after a 30 ton to start but the more I looked the more sensible it became to go for a 50 ton press. If I had a 30 ton job I’d much rather know that I had something in reserve than pushing a 30 to it’s limit. Taking all factors into account there was only one that ticked the boxes. It does not take an expert to see that most presses in any loading range come out of the same factory in China. In the end it was down to two with the same spec. One firm that was a bit higher in price than the other wanted £180 ($250?) plus 20% tax to ship one to the U.K. in 7-10 days as they don’t keep stock in the U.K. The other was about £100 ($150?) cheaper and offered free 3-5 day delivery or £20 ($30?) for next day. It turned up at 4pm today. The lorry driver insisted on taking it to my workshop door on his self-propelled pallet truck. Problem, once off the pallet it was about 3 inches too high to go under the roller door. Took the hose and elbow off but still 2 inches or so too high. I attached the engine hoist to it and did a side lift on it after taking the feet off. Between us, Madame and I got it into a controlled slant and pushed, levered and trolleyed it into the workshop. We left it at that for today. A couple of photos are attached. Will post more tomorrow when it’s unwrapped and in place.
Oh yes the features; winchable table, sliding cylinder, air and hydraulic operation with the air controlled by a foot pedal and what’s more this one has a mesh and plexiglas sliding guard.
DavidP,South Wales
cvphoto60863.jpg

cvphoto60864.jpg

cvphoto60865.jpg

I think you did good.

Had you bought the 30 ton, you would have always wished you had bought the 50.

I know, because I've done that too many times over the years.....tried to save a few dollars then regretted it later.

Fred

You did good!! I have a 20 ton from Harbor Freight that sometimes just won't cut it. I just looked on HF website, 20 ton is $199 and a 50 ton is $999. Looks to me like you didn't buy it, you stole it!!!!

I built my press with a 18 ton porta-power, works good. I have wrecked more then a few things with it. I can't imagine how much stuff you could wreak with a 50 ton press. Be carful.

Dad and I built one about 20 years ago with a 75 ton ram, and have had to put a 103 ton ram in it before as well.

There have been times it wouldn't do the job and we've taken the parts to a local outfit that has a 600 ton press.

When that doesn't work, we take it to an outfit with the biggest one I've seen. Its at a place called Superior Machine in Marion NC. It's a horizontal press and it's built into the floor. It's capable of 1000 tons.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back