WOW---Who said that Moldboard plows are worthless??

Adirondack case guy

We have been looking for a decent White/Oliver built plow since spring. A 6x18 CASE model 400 built by White came up on an auction today in Stanley,NY, We were hoping to get it for less than $2500. It went for $4800 plus 10% buyer premium and a 5% internet fee, plus we would have had to send a trucker to fetch it home. Good thing that I can keep the 1974 CASE 8358 5x18 hydraulic reset plow going until we can find a better one. The old Case is badly worn in the structural linkage parts but it still does a decent job of turning even furrows. It has Radex conversion bottoms on it so ware parts are readily available and no issue. The redrilled Radex frogs however are NLA and I have had to repair/rebuild them several times. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the accumulator does not fail. The one we have on it now came off a salvage yard IH 1460 combine.
cvphoto61315.jpg

cvphoto61316.jpg
I'm not sure why 2 npicts. appeared as there is only 1 jpg, showing when I edit my post before submitting it.
Loren

Just saw one of those go for $175, with mediocre paint, back in August. All the steel on the bottoms were in good shape & the accumulator was recently replaced. Guess it all depends on location & who wants it.

That one you found sure is a gem!

Mike

That is something , I remember going to MacFaddens probably 15 years ago there were at least two international I think 720 plows, and maybe some white plows, didn’t seem like anything wrong with them they sold for scrap for $200 bucks. We were surprised at that, nobody wanted them. Maybe they aren't even good plows.

Last year I bought a IHC on land 6-18 plow for $900. Good shape, everything ready to go but the hyd hoses are pretty frail, bottoms are good hitch is in great shape.

Thought that was quite a deal. I was expecting double and have seen triple that.

Been a bit of a resurgence in plows the past decade around here, the good models in the right sizes can bring some money.

Paul

Lot of variance in price across the country. About a month ago my son bought a 6/18 400 series Case/White plow spring re-set for $400 on a neighbors sale 5 miles from the farm. A year ago he bought the same plow but with the Case trip bottoms for $150. I paid $350 for a Case CHT 5/16 with the big tail wheel. Gave $175 for a 20' Case/Glencoe hyd. fold wings....probably never use it. I'll have to get some pictures later. E SD.

Good ploughs that aren’t worn out still fetch a good dollar here in Ontario. To have a full complement of minimum till equipment and a no till drill and no till corn planter, complete with a tractor that can handle the equipment takes some big $$$ . So unless you have a couple thousand acres to farm, you aren’t in that market. And rebuilding a no till drill can run over $40,000.00 , my neighbors just had theirs done. Only leaves two good choices for the farmers with 3-500 acres, hire custom or rely on older conventional equipment. I like to see a plough run through our ground once every 5 years, it can get packed by forage wagons and such

That must have been a BIG drill... I can rebuild a Deere 750 (15') for about $3500 plus my labor. New blades, bearings, gauge wheel tires, etc. As more big and expensive, we no-tilled for the first 15 years with a Deere 7000 planter plus $125 worth of attachments, pulled by a 4020. Hardly a big investment. Same with the drill, pulled that with a 4020, too. Don't think the equipment has to be expensive. I know some people like to plow, but no-till is often a lower cost alternative with more benefits than drawbacks. Some of our land here has had 35 years with no tillage, and nobody is thinking of going back to changing plow shares and picking rocks.

Probably more IH #720 plows pulled by green tractors than red tractors. Why? Because they are THE BEST.

Watch the plowing videos from Half Century of Progress and count how many you see.

You guys just need to look to the south. Most of them have already been cut up for scrap but when one comes up it will not bring anything. Just a thing of the past in these parts (Tennessee)

I see I missed a call form you Bro sorry about that, am building ramp to replace the set of stairs at the house,, You know I have the plow you need,, I am sure you have something I would consider trading on it, but Jon has so much to haul to me know I bet its a few days before he gets to it as I know it would be a tough sell to get you to come out for it lol, always makes me chuckle when the "Only way to farm is no-till" boys have to say how great it is for Them,, it sure is not the only way or the best way for other areas to do it no matter how many times they say it is,, that is like me telling them they are stupid as dirt for no tilling,, if it works for you I am Good with that, but not thedse boys they know it all,, they think anyway, but you guys need to open your ears it flat out does not work every where, I slowed down on moldboard plowing here not because it does not do the best tillage but because of the sear cost of it compared to using a chisel plow,, but I still have to do it every so often, I am not sure I would even really sell my 400 Series plow its a 7-18" as it sets but needs to be put back to a 6-18" just too long for my ground,,, Anyway Bro Sorry you was not able to get the replacement plow yet,, this just proves my point even more many are finding out they still need to loosen the ground up the way only a moldboard will do,,

It is a big unit, I had to ask why he didn’t just deal it in? Told me the new model would cost twice the cost of the rebuild. One friend has had 25 years of no till on his farm, they do dairy, and have plenty of manure, and alfalfa is in their crop rotation. I believe soil type and crops grown as well as how much frost you get plays a big part in how well no till works. Tillage for me is well dare I say it , a nuisance. I don’t really enjoy mind numbing hours turning dirt. Spend enough time on the tractor spreading manure and doing hay to get the feel of the wheel.

Can rent a no til drill from several places in my area very reasonable.Renting is the way to go for most farmers with something like that rather then tying
up a pile of money in something not used much.

Agreed Bruce. No-till has been successful here in part because we have alfalfa. But we've learned to make it work well without it, too. And like you I get enough tractor time with forage, manure, etc.

Hard to beat a red plow except the price of parts to keep the toggle trip in them working when you are in rocks
cvphoto61443.png

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back