Yanmar with bad transmission for sale

dane59432-HT

New User
Hello forum members, and thank you for adding me to your group <E>:)</E>
So, I am pleased to announce, I will soon to be the proud new owner of a Yanmar 3110d tractor. I am buying the tractor (which has less than 100 hrs post "refurb.") and pretty much looks like new (tires incl.) It comes with a 12 in. Auger, a box blade, disc, harrow, and of course is outfitted with the loader. It belongs to my neighbor who bought it from a car dealership approx. 8 years ago. It is going to cost me <B><s></s>A WHOPPING<e></e></B> <B><s></s>800 bucks<e></e></B>.

Here's the catch (and where my new fellow members come in).....living here in central Montana, it gets COLD. According to my neighbor, he had gone out one cold winter day, got it started (he says it has ALWAYS started great, even in super cold temps), fired it up and went to take off, and that's when something <U><s></s>VERY<e></e></U> bad happened!

It <B><s></s>actually stripped a gear in the transmission<e></e></B>. He said, it is a gear on the lower shaft of the transmission, and that he could see that the gear teeth got peeled off <E>:shock:</E> . The tractor now has no first gear OR four wheel drive. All other gears work. I have spent countless hours on the internet the last couple days reading forums and sites talking about these tractors and can't find anywhere that any other owners have had this sort of trans. problem. Maybe because of this, I can't seem to locate anyone selling any tranny "hard parts" either <E>:?:</E>

I know I can't get hurt on the price (just for the tires/implements/scrap), but would REALLY like to save this tractor if you think there is a chance parts can be had/built. I mean...for the price of this machine...custom is not out of the budget either. Will have to wait until after the Holidays to make some calls, but hoping to get some advice first. I am wondering if anyone might know what shaft/gear he is referring to and if it would affect both first gear and four wheel drive as he claimed? Can a new gear be bought or made? If it is made, how would I know the O/A diameter/pitch, tooth depth/count etc. without another one to compare to or a blueprint? Any thoughts? Thank you everyone.

If you can find a 3110D at a salvage yard, you could take yours to a tractor repair shop and let them order what they decide it needs from the yard.

Thanks everyone for the advice. In regards to the parts book, I was hoping the same thing. However, it still leaves the issue of part availability. I have seen parts for the newer models, but finding any gears for the transmission, for this model, seems to be the proverbial "needle in a haystack". It looks like this model was only made three years. Is that correct? Also, are there any other models that might share the same transmission. Because, that may broaden the search to more availability. A part number would definitely help identify the part, but unless it is still available somewhere?? Just some thoughts I've had <E>:)</E>

Thanks. Sometimes I guess it is all about knowing what to type in the "google search bar". I never knew there was salvage yards specific to Japanese tractors. But, on your advice, I typed in "Japanese tractor salvage" and... what do you know? <E>:)</E> Apparently there are some. Here in Montana, there is nothing of the sort. Thanks again for the advice. Will get a book ordered here at Hoye <E>:)</E>

Well-meaning advice, but it assumes that the previous owner was accurate, comprehensive, and honest about what part is needed.

In addition to getting the part # I would also mark the gear in the exploded drawing and scan it to emaill to any potential supplier, who probably won't have a parts manual.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back