Shouler pain

Anyone on here had shoulder surgery whenever I try to raise either arm out to the side to raise above my head or put my arm behind my back the pain is pretty bad to where I have to stop.i researched it some and most people that have it done still have pain after surgery just trying to get some information about it thanks Rick

No surgery, but I did hurt my shoulder back in Jan. Eventually saw my ortho doc and got an MRI and fortunately nothing torn just a lot of fluid and inflamation. Must have essentially momentarily dislocated it and got it pretty unhappy. It is gradually getting better and it does indeed hurt when I try to work towards restoring the original range of motion. I can however see improvement in that ROM as I push it to / past the pain point a bit each time and the pain will generally be gone within a minute or two. The worst impact is the shoulder ache that is easy enough to ignore during an active day, but impacts sleep pretty badly. Only in the last week or so have I finally started getting back to decent sleep.

Anyone on here had shoulder surgery whenever I try to raise either arm out to the side to raise above my head or put my arm behind my back the pain is pretty bad to where I have to stop.i researched it some and most people that have it done still have pain after surgery just trying to get some information about it thanks Rick
I have had orthosopic surgery on my shoulder and knee and it did help for a while but the pain has come back.

The only way to find out what's truly going on is to get an MRI, and you'll need an orthopedic surgeon on your side to get the insurance company to pay for it. He will have to write a treatise on why it's needed. The combination of physical therapy and corticosteroids is the normal treatment. Surgical solutions don't usually help as much as you'd think.

@rick n ohio - I had a range-of-motion issue; couldn't raise my arm above shoulder level or around my back without pain. Went to the doctor and he prescribed a regimen of physical therapy. X-rays, etc, revealed nothing. The physical therapy worked well. Full range now, and no pain. Talk to your physician before jumping into anything! zuhnc

I had a similar issue last year, VERY bad shoulder pain if I raised (or put around back) my left shoulder and several buddies warned of their surgeries, rotator cuffs and replacements etc. etc. Sooooooooooo I go to Orthopedic Sports Doctor they took X Rays etc and told me I HAD ARTHRITIS and a bone spur NO SURGERY REQUIRED..I told them that's impossible that's for OLD people. Anyway they gave me an ultrasound and injected what looked like a 12 inch needle down the top of my shoulder to somewhere that injected some snake oil AND THE PAIN LEFT IN LIKE 2 DAYS. Its been 6 months now and the pain has returned, they told me I can get 4 shots a year if needed and I go next Tuesday.

Darn Arthritis grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr but no rotator cuff or other surgery

John T

I had a similar issue last year, VERY bad shoulder pain if I raised (or put around back) my left shoulder and several buddies warned of their surgeries, rotator cuffs and replacements etc. etc. Sooooooooooo I go to Orthopedic Sports Doctor they took X Rays etc and told me I HAD ARTHRITIS and a bone spur NO SURGERY REQUIRED..I told them that's impossible that's for OLD people. Anyway they gave me an ultrasound and injected what looked like a 12 inch needle down the top of my shoulder to somewhere that injected some snake oil AND THE PAIN LEFT IN LIKE 2 DAYS. Its been 6 months now and the pain has returned, they told me I can get 4 shots a year if needed and I go next Tuesday.

John T
That snake oil was the corticosteroid.

By the way I get a shot in my right should every 3 month to help with the pain I have. Some how falling down the conning tower ladder on the sub I was on didn't help my knee or shoulder

I had a torn rotator cuff that was too bad to be repaired so the doctor did a shoulder joint replacement. A year and a half later, my shoulder is almost normal. Lots of pain during the recovery period. Months of rehab. I'm not sure that I'd do it again if had a choice.

I had a spell a couple years ago. Trip to ER. It was fluid and inflammation. I really thought I was having a heart attack. They did see a shadow on my heart but turned out it was the fluid BUT not before a full heart work up and stress test. Change of diet took care of that, seems some of the food (wheat and processed foods) were causing inflammation. I have had shoulder pain and loss of motion for years after hurting shoulder many years ago. I have had 3 fusions, 1 in neck, one between shoulder blade and a second surgery to make it 3, fused together. I can only raise my arm, close to my head to scratch my head and lots of creaking, cracking sounds and jerking motion. No way I can get either hand behind my back, above my waist. It is what it is, I will not have surgery on shoulder, it hurts but does not ache....James

I've had both shoulders operated on for torn rotator cuffs. Don't even remember how long ago it was but probably around 1998. Went to therapist after my first checkup and he gave me a sheet with instructions for home therapy. Worked well. No pain and total freedom of movement.

John T
I got more info from a Sports Doctor, yep I get those shots two at a time in both shoulders its TUFF getting through them. No other help for me both are trash/junk I already knew that. Left shoulder replacement will be this fall after that I will get the other done. Sports Doctor recommended Tylenol and Ibuprofen at the same time it helps. I did take Ibuprofen I could tell the difference when I added Tylenol.

Last edited:
Bone spurs and torn rotator cuff for me. All at once realized could not raise right arm over head. Same dr that replaced my knees saw bone spurs thru skin. Xray confirmed. Did mri for rotator check. Yep. It was torn. Surgery. Did home therapy and about year later i was back to normal

Just this morning a friend told me he has lost his CDL because the government now has changed the rules to where you cannot have ANY deficiencies, and after his shoulder surgery he can no longer raise his right arm above his head.

Depends on what is causing the pain. X-rays and an MRI will tell you for sure. I tore three of the four in the rotator cuff and never did anything about it. Then my shoulder just quit, no pain, It just stopped working. I had a reversal replacement in '19 and went back to doing stuff too soon. A year later I needed a revision because the humeral spike worked loose. Now it's weakness and pain every day. The recovery from a replacement is rough. Bear with it and DO THE THERAPY. Find a good orthopedic surgeon that does Lots of shoulders.

I have had orthosopic surgery on my shoulder and knee and it did help for a while but the pain has come back.
Old,
No surgery, but my right shoulder has hurt for the last 20 years. You name a topical cream, I've tried it. Nothing works all the time and some only work for a very short time.
Tylenol and tramadol helps. Old remedy, Castor oil and methanol cream.
My problem is caused by too many birthdays and swinging a hammer.
Warning, don't drink the castor oil. use it as a topical.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back