1650 hydraulics?

sonnythomas

Having issues with end loader, the bucket won't stay in position. Has this anything due to the buttons on the hyd levers? I'm not sure if they even work. Some wires are pulled out or cut off on the opposite side. Okay, if I try digging the bucket tilts, going deeper than wanted.

hyd buttons - wire 003.jpg
hyd buttons - wires.jpg

I can tilt the bucket - raise the front tires off the ground and it holds. I shut the tractor off with bucket still tilted. Came back a hour later and the tires still off the ground. So valves aren't leaking - leastwise I don't think so.

1650 bucket 001-1.jpg

Last edited:
Having issues with end loader, the bucket won't stay in position. Has this anything due to the buttons on the hyd levers? I'm not sure if they even work. Some wires are pulled out or cut off on the opposite side. Okay, if I try digging the bucket tilts, going deeper than wanted.

View attachment 70738View attachment 70739

I can tilt the bucket - raise the front tires off the ground and it holds. I shut the tractor off with bucket still tilted. Came back a hour later and the tires still off the ground. So values aren't leaking - leastwise I don't think so.

View attachment 70737
The buttons have nothing to do with it. They were to activate magnets in Oliver Hydra Lectric remote cylinders. I suppose it's possible that your problem is the packing in the cylinders. Pressure is holding one way but not the other Seems like they usually leak both ways, but maybe not necessarily.

The buttons have nothing to do with it. They were to activate magnets in Oliver Hydra Lectric remote cylinders. I suppose it's possible that your problem is the packing in the cylinders. Pressure is holding one way but not the other Seems like they usually leak both ways, but maybe not necessarily.

All cylinders have been rebuilt just recently. Tested at the shop. Not leaking on the outside to see. Place all got rebuilt rebuilds cylinders from all the U.S. Awesome place.
Possibly valve leaking one way and not the other?

All cylinders have been rebuilt just recently. Tested at the shop. Not leaking on the outside to see. Place all got rebuilt rebuilds cylinders from all the U.S. Awesome place.
Possibly valve leaking one way and not the other?
I think so. It has to be going somewhere. What happens if you switch the hoses?

I think so. It has to be going somewhere. What happens if you switch the hoses?
Same thing. Thought about interchanging large cylinder hoses with small cylinders. BUT! Have to buy new couplings. Supposedly I have the (old) space age couplings for the large cylinders. Left side was changed from no longer made couplings.

Top was sort of cleaned because of new hose.

right side hyd couplings 001-3.jpg

Original left side couplings. Couldn't find nipples. Arrows - locked coupling in bracket seen in next pic.

hyd coupling 2 003-1-1.jpg

New couplings on left side.

Hyd 4 003-1-75.jpg

With the old trip buckets the bucket was locked in place. Seen those on many tractors including Oliver 1650s.
This end loader is more like industrial type - big and heavy. Tractor is supposed to weight 7,815 pounds. With end loader mine weighs 10,460 pounds. There's so much weight on the front end that those big 18.4 x 34 rear tires don't get the bite you think they should.

Oliver 1650 - 222.jpg

Last edited:
Just had a thought. Are the bleed screws closed tight? They should only be open if you're using single-acting cylinders.

I have no idea. Again, can't see words good enough to see what is what and then no idea how to adjust - don't want to mess up and ruin something.

First got the tractor I was told I had to use 2 way cylinders. I didn't try the single action I had on my Brillion stock chopper, just bought 2 way cylinder. Dealer has a small garage with 20 or more used cylinders. I didn't think $10 wasn't bad. It works and no leaks. The Brillion has a lot of steel and only the gear box is cast iron - It's heavy, but not outlandish. Got a another Brillion for free for hauling off. It works but needs work - clutch plates and drive shaft welded - trying to find another 15", 4 bolt hole rim for it.

I have no idea. Again, can't see words good enough to see what is what and then no idea how to adjust - don't want to mess up and ruin something.

First got the tractor I was told I had to use 2 way cylinders. I didn't try the single action I had on my Brillion stock chopper, just bought 2 way cylinder. Dealer has a small garage with 20 or more used cylinders. I didn't think $10 wasn't bad. It works and no leaks. The Brillion has a lot of steel and only the gear box is cast iron - It's heavy, but not outlandish. Got a another Brillion for free for hauling off. It works but needs work - clutch plates and drive shaft welded - trying to find another 15", 4 bolt hole rim for it.
The OP manual will tell you how to set up for single or double acting cylinders. The bleed screws are the 3/8 screws with locknuts in the recesses on each side. No head, just a slot. Loosen the nut and screw it down snug and lock the nut. You really need a manual, you're shooting blind here.

Attachments

• IMG_20200709_132958.jpg
    IMG_20200709_132958.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 11
The OP manual will tell you how to set up for single or double acting cylinders. The bleed screws are the 3/8 screws with locknuts in the recesses on each side. No head, just a slot. Loosen the nut and screw it down snug and lock the nut. You really need a manual, you're shooting blind here.

136 pages
faint.gif

Ordered manual. Also went asking. Those I spoke with told of unless extreme hydraulic pressure I'd have to keep adjusting as I went. One man had a big Case end loader/back hole. He said he had to adjust as he went, or the bucket would nosedive.

I have so much hydraulic pressure that I have to loosen hose ends to drop pressure to hookup my Brillion stock chopper.

When you encounter pressure hooking up hoses on Olivers it is not an indication of the hydraulic pressure your pump is producing. They are notorious for not being able to hook the couplers together without releasing the pressure. Pioneer makes couplers that you can hook up without fighting the pressure issue.

Ordered manual. Also went asking. Those I spoke with told of unless extreme hydraulic pressure I'd have to keep adjusting as I went. One man had a big Case end loader/back hole. He said he had to adjust as he went, or the bucket would nosedive.

I have so much hydraulic pressure that I have to loosen hose ends to drop pressure to hookup my Brillion stock chopper.
You say your bucket holds position, so you likely do not have a hydraulic problem.

The fellow with the Case loader hoe told you right. It is common with most loaders, If the cutting edge is rolled up even a little the bucket will slide up onto the material and not dig in. If the bucket tipped is down so the cutting edge is even taking a small cut, as you go forward the edge will go lower as the tractor front tires are going down as it travels into the cut area (and any slack in pins and bushings will allow the bucket to dig in more as the bucket meets resistance. Trying to use float when not on frozen ground or concrete will allow even more digging in. You, as the operator, have to make adjustments as needed to maintain level when digging in dirt. (Dozers act the same.) It takes adjustments by the operator to have a flat grade when finished.

When you encounter pressure hooking up hoses on Olivers it is not an indication of the hydraulic pressure your pump is producing. They are notorious for not being able to hook the couplers together without releasing the pressure. Pioneer makes couplers that you can hook up without fighting the pressure issue.

Old Pioneer that I can't get nipples for. And what's available at local tractor companies. I suppose I could ask Korves.

Hyd coupling 005.JPG
Hyd 4 003-1.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back