1929 GP Trans Splined Shaft Troubleshooting

Ken Christopherson

Hello all! It has been a while since I have posted in any of the forums, but am always reading...

I need help. I am helping a friend with his 1929 GP.... We had to replace the splined shaft in the transmission. Let me first start by saying I was not involved in every step of the process on teardown... Now, putting it back together and looking at the service manual and the parts manual, they are not incredibly descriptive. The issue we are having is the original shaft (that had a broken keyway) did NOT have an oil slinger on it. The replacement shaft does. I have been told that it SHOULD have been on the original shaft.

Now, when putting it back together, we slid the shaft in, placing gears on one by one. Then shift rail and forks. All of that went smoothly. Slide the bearing carrier onto the clutch side. Now - putting the bearings onto the outside ends of the shaft. The flywheel side we were able to get it onto the shaft using the nut for that side. The clutch side it would not go without heating the race to expand and slide on - even then it was tough going (used a brass drift and tapped it on evenly).

Here is the issue: the clutch side bearing is bottomed out on the shaft against the oils slinger. The flywheels side is bottomed out. According to the manual, we should be able to take up the end play by tightening the nut on the flywheel side, until the point where there is no end play and the shaft turns freely. Well, the shaft has easily 3/8 of end play with both bearings bottomed out. Also - there are two very large washers - one thick and one thin. We know that one of them came out of the carrier side, but I am not sure which one.

Any help on getting this shaft set up right??
cvphoto159802.jpg

cvphoto159803.jpg

cvphoto159804.jpg

cvphoto159805.jpg

I think there is a serial number break on that shaft. The transmission housing changed and probably that shaft too.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back