3020 Starting Issues

JBondJr

New User
I have a 1965 3020 Diesel, 24v positive ground. Initial startup is fine. Works and runs fine. When I shut it down, it will not immediately start back up. It seems to start fine again when I’m back to a cold start. The tractor is new to me. Ignition switch is new. Momentary/push button start is new as well. I get that a 12v conversion is probably practical, but seeing if anyone else had a similar problem.

I have a 1965 3020 Diesel, 24v positive ground. Initial startup is fine. Works and runs fine. When I shut it down, it will not immediately start back up. It seems to start fine again when I’m back to a cold start. The tractor is new to me. Ignition switch is new. Momentary/push button start is new as well. I get that a 12v conversion is probably practical, but seeing if anyone else had a similar problem.
My JD 401 b diesel was hard to start all the time. The starter just didn't have enough power to spin it fast enough. Replaced it the starting, problem went away. Stan

By "will not start back up" do you mean...

>Cranks normally, but won't start?

>Cranks slowly, and won't start?

>Doesn't crank at all? Or?

JD 3020 24 volt starting/charging system is neither positive or negative ground. Starter, generator & voltage regulator are isolated/insulated from tractor frame. Field lights have 2 circuits(A & B) with 11 circuit being positive ground & other circuit being negative ground. My guess is the reason tractor is difficult to start after reaching operating temp is an internal hyd leak is not allowing front hyd pump to de-stroke IE stop attempting to pump oil. When attempting to start warm engine vigorously move steering wheel back & forth when engaging starter!!!!!! Moving steering aids starter to rotate engine crankshaft easier. Another option is install & utilize a frt hyd pump destroking screw or valve.

My JD 401 b diesel was hard to start all the time. The starter just didn't have enough power to spin it fast enough. Replaced it the starting, problem went away. Stan
Thanks. Mine’s confusing because when hot, I get nothing. Starter doesn’t even engage.

Thanks. Mine’s confusing because when hot, I get nothing. Starter doesn’t even engage.
"I get nothing. Starter doesn’t even engage."

You might have said that in your first post.

"it will not immediately start back up" and "Starter doesn’t even engage." have a slightly different connotation, IMHO.

"I get nothing. Starter doesn’t even engage."

You might have said that in your first post.

"it will not immediately start back up" and "Starter doesn’t even engage." have a slightly different connotation, IMHO.
You are correct. I was wrong to not include originally. Clarification was better late than never.

JD 3020 24 volt starting/charging system is neither positive or negative ground. Starter, generator & voltage regulator are isolated/insulated from tractor frame. Field lights have 2 circuits(A & B) with 11 circuit being positive ground & other circuit being negative ground. My guess is the reason tractor is difficult to start after reaching operating temp is an internal hyd leak is not allowing front hyd pump to de-stroke IE stop attempting to pump oil. When attempting to start warm engine vigorously move steering wheel back & forth when engaging starter!!!!!! Moving steering aids starter to rotate engine crankshaft easier. Another option is install & utilize a frt hyd pump destroking screw or valve.
Thanks for the input.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back