3550 engine swap.

Moparminnion

New User
Just for argument .......
Could i swap a 3cyl diesal motor for a 3cyl gas engine?

Why would i do this?
Because a reman diesal engine is almost $9000.
And a gas reman is about 3.
Im not running this thing commercially.

Yes you could swap in a gas engine. It would be cheaper to rebuild the engine your self unless the block is junk or you can’t find a block. To rebuild our 6610 motor was a tad under $3000; boarded (head was decked), head was decked, engine rebuild kit, new rods and pistons

Last edited:
Mine is running but i just cant get past this fear that it is knocking .
It smokes and has some blowby.
Hard start without a shot of either .
So i could defintly justify a new motor .
There is no metal in the oil and there was none in the filter when i cut it open.

Having the existing engine rebuilt is a better option in my point of view. A properly done rebuild will resolve all of the issues that you describe. You have no idea what problems those already rebuilt engines might have had before they were rebuilt. That is why they were rebuilt.

Lots of little things involved with going from diesel to gas. Air filtration, throttle linkage, starter unless use diesel flywheel, primary fuel system , primary electrical system.

I'd quit with the ether. It can be hard on things.

Is it hard to start when warm?

Do you have a block heater?

Maybe do a compression check before you condemn the engine.

Do you have any fuel leaks?

Might be getting a tiny bit of air. That won't help hard starts.

I'm adding an electric lift pump off a 1990's GM 6.5 diesel truck.
In between the petcock and filter, Rated at 8-9 psi.

From what I saw in the service manual, 8-9 psi is what the mechanical pump that's part of the cav pump puts out.

It'll be pumping through the fuel filter instead of gravity feeding or being sucked through by the cav lift pump.

I have to find key on power to trigger the relay I'll install to run the lift pump.

I have it temporarily installed now and am liking it.

I'd definitely stay diesel.
If you have a diesel shop nearby, it wouldn't hurt to have your injectors tested / rebuilt / balanced.
I'd check compression first and see what you're working with.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back