430 or 530 as dedicated loader tractor

TomIn

I'm a late 70's geezer who owns a place in the country. I've been using a Ford 600 tractor primarily for mowing, but occasionally use a back blade, box blade, and three point scoop for other tasks. I'm to the point where a loader is becoming more necessary, and it is becoming more of a chore to change attachments. I'm considering buying another old tractor just for use with non-PTO attachments.

Recently I have noticed several FB ads for old Case 430 and 530 tractors which seem to have sturdy loaders and no PTO's. Some are marked Construction King, so I assume they are industrial versions. I have no experience with Case tractors, but they look like they would fit my needs for a low use, cheap tractor that might last as long as I would need it. (Realistically, I'm not going to be able to maintain two properties for very many more years.)

My major concern in buying a 60 year old tractor with a loader is reliability. It looks like these case models were built for the additional stress of a loader. I have some degree of mechanical aptitude, but my age, physical condition, and the remote location of my property limits what I can handle by myself. Reading through the posts in the Case forum suggests that finding the correct parts for the many variations of these tractors can be a challenge even if one is young, strong, and close to a source of parts. These tractors seem to have lots of hydraulics and a multitude of hoses and cylinders. I don't have any experience with these and can imagine that a cheap tractor could easily turn into a money pit.

I'm asking for advice and opinions. Should I pursue some of these tractors, or just admit that I would be biting off more than I can chew?

I'm a late 70's geezer who owns a place in the country. I've been using a Ford 600 tractor primarily for mowing, but occasionally use a back blade, box blade, and three point scoop for other tasks. I'm to the point where a loader is becoming more necessary, and it is becoming more of a chore to change attachments. I'm considering buying another old tractor just for use with non-PTO attachments.

Recently I have noticed several FB ads for old Case 430 and 530 tractors which seem to have sturdy loaders and no PTO's. Some are marked Construction King, so I assume they are industrial versions. I have no experience with Case tractors, but they look like they would fit my needs for a low use, cheap tractor that might last as long as I would need it. (Realistically, I'm not going to be able to maintain two properties for very many more years.)

My major concern in buying a 60 year old tractor with a loader is reliability. It looks like these case models were built for the additional stress of a loader. I have some degree of mechanical aptitude, but my age, physical condition, and the remote location of my property limits what I can handle by myself. Reading through the posts in the Case forum suggests that finding the correct parts for the many variations of these tractors can be a challenge even if one is young, strong, and close to a source of parts. These tractors seem to have lots of hydraulics and a multitude of hoses and cylinders. I don't have any experience with these and can imagine that a cheap tractor could easily turn into a money pit.

I'm asking for advice and opinions. Should I pursue some of these tractors, or just admit that I would be biting off more than I can chew?
I have a 1964 JI Case 530CK with loader and backhoe. Has a diesel engine. I put the manifold heater on for maybe 30 seconds and the outside temperature in the teens, the engine will fire up with no problem. This thing is built like a tank. The loader will lift anything that I want to lift. The more I use this thing the better I like it.
Don't even think about putting a FEL on your 600, get a 530 CK, you will not be sorry.

I have a 1964 JI Case 530CK with loader and backhoe. Has a diesel engine. I put the manifold heater on for maybe 30 seconds and the outside temperature in the teens, the engine will fire up with no problem. This thing is built like a tank. The loader will lift anything that I want to lift. The more I use this thing the better I like it.
Don't even think about putting a FEL on your 600, get a 530 CK, you will not be sorry.
I Bought a 1963 530ck, also with loader and backhoe, just over a year ago and like it a lot. The front loader will lift 3000#, and the backhoe has been a blessing too. I've put about 100 hrs on it so far and glad I have it. Mine has the 188 diesel also.

Attachments

• Case 480B.png
    Case 480B.png
    312.5 KB · Views: 22
  • Case 480 CK loader.png
    Case 480 CK loader.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 480.png
    480.png
    137.7 KB · Views: 18
  • Case 530 CK.png
    Case 530 CK.png
    754.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Case 530 CE.png
    Case 530 CE.png
    620.2 KB · Views: 22
  • Case 530 4in1.png
    Case 530 4in1.png
    155.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 530 Const King Front.png
    530 Const King Front.png
    821.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Case 430 Ind.png
    Case 430 Ind.png
    417.5 KB · Views: 20
  • Case 430CK side.png
    Case 430CK side.png
    494.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 80CK Group1.png
    80CK Group1.png
    341.7 KB · Views: 26

I have had the earlier models, 200 and 310, with the factory loader for a lot of years...no trouble other than an occasional hose or cylinder seal. Good tractors!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back