656 PTO slow to engage

M Nut

I’m looking at a 656 hydro, considering buying it. The one concern I have is that when engaging the PTO, it takes about 5 seconds for the PTO to start turning. Does this sound normal? Or is there likely a mechanical issue?
Also, it is a hydro. It seems to work good, no noise when sitting still, slight whine when moving. When pressing the brakes pedals, it will stall the tractor without slipping the transmission. Anything else I should check on?
Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Pulling up on the PTO handle behind the seat. I’m not real familiar with these tractors. I thought you just pulled the handle up toward the seat to engage, and push down toward the hitch to disengage? Maybe I’m not doing it correctly?

Pulling up on the PTO handle behind the seat. I’m not real familiar with these tractors. I thought you just pulled the handle up toward the seat to engage, and push down toward the hitch to disengage? Maybe I’m not doing it correctly?
The ones I am talking about are like a hand clutch deal, not sure what you have.

is that more like the 560s had? Never ran one, but my neighbor has one. It always reminded me of a hand clutch lever. The one on this 656 is just a small handle the pulls up to engage the PTO valve, or pushes down to disengage it.
Thanks for trying to offer a suggestion.

I’m looking at a 656 hydro, considering buying it. The one concern I have is that when engaging the PTO, it takes about 5 seconds for the PTO to start turning. Does this sound normal? Or is there likely a mechanical issue?
Also, it is a hydro. It seems to work good, no noise when sitting still, slight whine when moving. When pressing the brakes pedals, it will stall the tractor without slipping the transmission. Anything else I should check on?
The PTO unit has it's own hydraulic pump and pickup tube that hangs down under the differential.

Did you check the transmission oil level, the first thing that comes to mind is it's low on oil or the PTO oil pickup tube is not sealed to the pump or is otherwise damaged.

The PTO unit has it's own hydraulic pump and pickup tube that hangs down under the differential.

Did you check the transmission oil level, the first thing that comes to mind is it's low on oil or the PTO oil pickup tube is not sealed to the pump or is otherwise damaged.
I didn’t think to do that. Current owner just changed all fluids and filters, perhaps it just needs to be topped off with oil.

I know you probably would want to take it in consideration on the price if there is a problem. My comment is that any repairs to the PTO in that tractor short of front gear train issues can be completed by pulling the PTO unit off the back, no split.

I know you probably would want to take it in consideration on the price if there is a problem. My comment is that any repairs to the PTO in that tractor short of front gear train issues can be completed by pulling the PTO unit off the back, no split.
Good to know. Thanks!

Usually slow to engage is the clutch discs are worn out or an internal leak. Small plug on the left side of the unit is for checking pressure. When lifting the control spool you can find a small hole in the spool to hold it from turning and turning the block on top of the spool is how you adjust the pressure. Basically all your doing is lifting the spool up higher when it is engaged. Should have 230-250 psi. My guess is in the near future it will need rebuilt. A service manual would help you greatly.

Usually slow to engage is the clutch discs are worn out or an internal leak. Small plug on the left side of the unit is for checking pressure. When lifting the control spool you can find a small hole in the spool to hold it from turning and turning the block on top of the spool is how you adjust the pressure. Basically all your doing is lifting the spool up higher when it is engaged. Should have 230-250 psi. My guess is in the near future it will need rebuilt. A service manual would help you greatly.
Thank you for this information. I appreciate it.

I have fed cows for 30 years with 656 hydros. One of them has a habit of very slowly unscrewing the shaft that comes up out of the pto unit, from the square block that pulls up with the pto lever. There is a tiny hole through the shaft that you can use a very small rod to turn the shaft tighter. Your description sounds exactly like the way Skippy the 656 behaves.

The hydro test sounds good. Whine while moving is normal. Neighbor 3 miles down the valley always said he could tell when I was plowing with the 826 hydro because the noise travelled that far.:D

I have fed cows for 30 years with 656 hydros. One of them has a habit of very slowly unscrewing the shaft that comes up out of the pto unit, from the square block that pulls up with the pto lever. There is a tiny hole through the shaft that you can use a very small rod to turn the shaft tighter. Your description sounds exactly like the way Skippy the 656 behaves.

The hydro test sounds good. Whine while moving is normal. Neighbor 3 miles down the valley always said he could tell when I was plowing with the 826 hydro because the noise travelled that far.:D
Thank you for this simple possibility. I’ll check on that 1st thing.

There is a special fitting you could get from your friendly local rob you right dealer to screw in to the hole where you remove the plug. It is an o-ring thread hole then with that special fitting you can screw a hoes into it for a gauge so you can see it easily.

There is a special fitting you could get from your friendly local rob you right dealer to screw in to the hole where you remove the plug. It is an o-ring thread hole then with that special fitting you can screw a hoes into it for a gauge so you can see it easily.
Good to know. Thank you!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back