Any info on this tractor?

BWAnac

New User
This tractor was on some property I bought recently so it is now mine. From what little research I did, I believe it's from the 1940s, but I'd appreciate any information on it or leads where to look for to learn more about this tractor.
1712591850369.jpeg

Last edited:
looks like the BN model. it is more toward the end of production in the early 50's by the stamped frame. nice little unit.

Pressed frame B's were built from 48 to 52. The rear axle housing was changed from round to square in 1950.

https://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/000/0/2/26-john-deere-b.html

e65AJ3I.jpeg

The info above should help in figuring out what year it is.
Very interesting. I found the SN but it doesn't fit into that chart. It starts with B233... which is higher than even the final B number. Thoughts and suggestions, please? The number is on the plate in that location and says "Model B Tractor Serial Number" before the B233...

Update: I found a picture of the tag on a BN and it does say just Model B Tractor... However, the SN still is beyond the range in the chart so I am perplexed as to the year of it.

Note my seat is different than in the online pictures I've found so far.

Last edited:
looks like the BN model. it is more toward the end of production in the early 50's by the stamped frame. nice little unit.
I agree with you when I look at pictures. BN has the single front tire, which mine has, vs. the dual front tire on the plain B. But my SN plate clearly says Model B Tractor Serial Number B233... Would a BN say that or would it say Model BN Tractor...?

Update: I found a picture of the tag on a BN and it does say just Model B Tractor... However, the SN still is beyond the range in the chart so I am perplexed as to the year of it.

Last edited:
I agree with you when I look at pictures. BN has the single front tire, which mine has, vs. the dual front tire on the plain B. But my SN plate clearly says Model B Tractor Serial Number B233... Would a BN say that or would it say Model BN Tractor...?
It is a B. The N is a B variant, and the variant designations are not shown on the serial number tag.

Pressed frame B's were built from 48 to 52. The rear axle housing was changed from round to square in 1950.
Suggestions how I can narrow down my year more exactly? As I've posted elsewhere here, my SN (B233...) does not fit anywhere in the table of years for each SN.

Its serial number doesn't fit in the range on the TractorData site. Also the front tire is single, like BNs (so I agree it very well may be a BN), but the seat is different from pictures I see if that makes a difference.

Very interesting. I found the SN but it doesn't fit into that chart. It starts with B233... which is higher than even the final B number. Thoughts and suggestions, please? The number is on the plate in that location and says "Model B Tractor Serial Number" before the B233...

According to my John Deere Data book your "B" is a is a 1948 model. Serial numbers that year are from 209295-237345. 1949 starts with 237346. Tom in Mn.

According to my John Deere Data book your "B" is a is a 1948 model. Models that year are from 209295-237345. 1949 starts with 237346. Tom in Mn.
Great! Thanks so much! Is there anywhere I can see that online myself? If not, I'll just take your word for it since my SN definitely fits within that range. Does your book also says it's a BN or is it a straight B? Thanks again!

Suggestions how I can narrow down my year more exactly? As I've posted elsewhere here, my SN (B233...) does not fit anywhere in the table of years for each SN.
There are B two listings on Tractor Data. wore out posted the listing for the "early styled" Bs. Below is a link to the "late styled" Bs. Your serial number is in the 1949 range of the Tractor data list Sleufoot's JD book is likely the more accurate source.

Late Styled B Tractor Data

Reactions: ET
Great! Thanks so much! Is there anywhere I can see that online myself? If not, I'll just take your word for it since my SN definitely fits within that range. Does your book also says it's a BN or is it a straight B? Thanks again!
My information is from the book intitled John Deere Tractor Data Book ( Two-cylinder models through 1960) by Larry Dunning. As far as your "B" it doesn't say that BN's are seperate and like Jim I believe its just a variant. If you get the Green Magazine I think that Mr. Thinker's Almanac which is published through the magazine would list this information also. Tom in Mn.

My information is from the book intitled John Deere Tractor Data Book ( Two-cylinder models through 1960) by Larry Dunning. As far as your "B" it doesn't say that BN's are seperate and like Jim I believe its just a variant. If you get the Green Magazine I think that Mr. Thinker's Almanac which is published through the magazine would list this information also. Tom in Mn.
First page of the Styled B parts catalog. The second letter is just a variant, not a different model with separate serial numbers.

B Parts Catalog for SN B60000 and after

This tractor was on some property I bought recently so it is now mine. From what little research I did, I believe it's from the 1940s, but I'd appreciate any information on it or leads where to look for to learn more about this tractor. View attachment 66252
Go to the top of this page next to Forums and click on resources, the serial numbers, go to John Deere and find B serial numbers. Ron MN

There are B two listings on Tractor Data. wore out posted the listing for the "early styled" Bs. Below is a link to the "late styled" Bs. Your serial number is in the 1949 range of the Tractor data list Sleufoot's JD book is likely the more accurate source.

Late Styled B Tractor Data
That seems to be the correct information. Thank you. A 1949 BN it is!

Go to the top of this page next to Forums and click on resources, the serial numbers, go to John Deere and find B serial numbers. Ron MN
Hi Ron, I quickly went through the "A" "B" & "D" serial numbers on the resource page up at the top of this page and compared them with the book I was using for my references and see about a half dozen places where the serial numbers don't match whether it is because of incorrect data or fat fingers touching the wrong keys one can only guess. Tom in Mn.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back