Back to owning a combine - Gleaner M2

rockyridgefarm

Hey all,

My last stint at owning a combine was a bust. I got one year out of a 1980 Gleaner M2, and then the rats got the rest. They ate EVERYTHING - wires, belts, wood blocks, even the radiator hose. It wasn't a total loss - I've been selling parts off that M2 for the last couple years, and am about even on what I had in it. That, and I have a pretty nice deer hunting stand in the grain tank to boot.

That time, I didn't have a machine shed and had left the combine at the edge of the last field. This spring, I built a 40X80 machine shed, and I'm gonna make darn sure I clean the combine out before I put it away. Anyone have some pointers on effectively cleaning out a machine and then keeping the rats out?

We don't have a Gleaner, but I think my comments will apply to about any machine built out there. I have been around 4 different combines on our family farm, with the latest being a 9000 series Deere. The first year we had that machine, I thought we did a great job of finding and cleaning out all the little nooks and crannies on that machine. That was not the case! We took it out in the spring, after planting, and started the machine up and found a lot of remaining dust and chaff come loose from the winter storage. We also found a few other places where some trap doors needed to be opened up.

We start by dumping and cleaning out the rock trap. With the machine running, the cylinder speed and fan speed are adjusted up and down moving the sheaves. We also open all trap doors on the augers and elevators before start up to ensure what does come loose, drops out of the machine. We also move the concave all the way out and in, as well as open up the sieve and chaffer prior to start up. We then start the "attack" with a leaf blower to remove the larger volumes of dust/dirt/chaff/etc. Then follow up with an air gun. Depending upon the specific situation, I will use a 2, 4, and 6 foot long air wand/gun. It is incredible where the debris can hide on these machines, as it will find its way into any small opening.

I will spend the better part of an entire day (5 to 6 hours) going over the machine with that air gun. It is amazing the places where crop debris can hang up in these machines. I also pull cobs out of the walkers and other places I can find debris. I would also suggest taking the machine out in the spring and running it once again, blow it out again, and again a couple months later. I like to use Irish Spring soap bars around the machine, as well as moth balls. Bounce dryer sheets in the cab. On horizontal surfaces, I will leave little, shallow pans with antifreeze for the pests to drink. No friendly animals can get into the shed where this is stored. It is not "rocket science." It is simply being thorough with the air gun and looking it over both inside and out while blowing it off. Knock on wood, our problems with little, furry creatures has been minimal to non-existent. I also try to keep any food source (grain or seed) out of the shed.

I hope my thoughts are of some help to you. It took a couple years to find some of the "hiding places" of some of the harvest chaff and debris.

I do pretty much what 2002sliverado does. I'll spend about three days (on and off) on the
combine (CIH Axial Flow).

Only two things I might add, I try and leave any access doors and shields off.....they claim
mice don't like the light.

Also, on the anti-freeze.............you need the old stuff, they have done something to
the newer stuff to make it non-toxic or made it taste bad....it will not kill like it used
to.

The ruination of a combine is letting it set out. I've
never understood that. I guess it happens out of
necessity such as yours, but EVERYTHING you do
all year comes down to that one tool. Congrats on
that new shed!

Anyway...

I second opening every door and trap. Run the
combine at full tilt and walk around with the leaf
blower. Some folks will say not to put out bait - it will
draw pests and they stink when they are dead. I
look at it this way, the whole machine is a feeding
frenzy, and if they stink that is a victory! Clean the
machine, then park it for a week, then clean it
again. Rinse and repeat many times. I put bait in
the machine in certain spots and park it where I will
occasionally work. If it's in the back corner of a quiet
shed the mice will have a party. You won't keep
them all out, but blowing it off and cleaning those
wires will help them be less inviting.

Thanks for the pointers. Has anyone ever tried something like putting 4 large pans down, placing blocks in the pans, and blocking the combine up so the tires are 6 inches off the ground? Maybe 6 inches wouldn't be enough to keep the rats out...?

Have seen sulphur sprinkled around the tires on the ground...apparently, mice won't
step into it. Works? Dunno. Ben

I apologize for my short sighted response from yesterday. Congratulations on your machine shed. That was probably one of the best investments you could make. Being able to keep equipment inside and out of the elements will add some much life to your equipment. When we put up our first machine shed, it was so nice to be able to put machinery in at night, especially when the weather was less than favorable outside. Even when it is cold, being able to NOT have to contend with frost, rain, or even snow makes those morning starts that much better. I like having the tractor inside after a late night...............I can plug in the block heater when cold weather conditions prevail, and the tractor is that much quicker at warming up. I do not miss those "shedless" days in the least.

Along with the other ideas here, which I have used, I remove some of the monitor panels in the overhead, and put d-Con or similar in there. Also, take out the philips screws that hold the panels in, and replace with hex screws. Much easier to remove with a nutdriver, then the philips screws.

as others have stated clean it the best you can. I leave all panels off. I also use moth balls and dryer sheets in the cab.
been lucky to not have any mice problems. I also try to start
my combine through out the winter, tractors too. helps keep the batteries up, run the a/c too, along with engaging the machine. this what I have done for the last 17 years that I have owed my 1620.

jmho

Duane

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back