Case 1490 water pump pulley

Wetherdad

New User
1983-ish case 1490. Water pump let go and replaced with a reman. First issue was the water pump to thermostat housing seal would not seal. The seal was installed correctly and all sealing surfaces were cleaned and should have sealed properly. I have found a single YouTube video with a similar issue and the guy ended up making his own seal from some vintage suspension bushing as the OEM seal was not tall enough. Is this a common issue? Anyone else come up with a good fix/work around. Second issue is the pulley that came on the reman pump was not the correct pulley for the specific application of my 1490. It was easy enough to pull the pulley off the reman pump and swap with the bad pump, however I have found the press fit is not tight enough and the pulley will walk off the shaft. Has anyone dealt with this. I don’t feel that drilling and tapping for a set screw is a great option and I don’t think I would trust green lecture to hold it. Looking for some advice/Ideas/tips/tricks???

Did you use a new seal? I have coated them in silicone if the castings are rough.

As to the fan, yes there are 2 different bolt patterns. One for the plastic fan one for the steel one, I think the steel one was used on AC equipped tractors. I'd use loctite and peen the end of the shaft, or find the other style fan blade.

Did you use a new seal? I have coated them in silicone if the castings are rough.

As to the fan, yes there are 2 different bolt patterns. One for the plastic fan one for the steel one, I think the steel one was used on AC equipped tractors. I'd use loctite and peen the end of the shaft, or find the other style fan blade.
The fan bolts to the pulley, the pulley is a press fit to the water pump. I like the idea of peening the end of the shaft, I’ll see if that is feasible.

I used a small amount of rtv on a new seal…when I say small amount I mean just enough to hold the seal in place. Both mating surfaces were clean, smooth, and free of debris. I may just seek out a taller seal…curious if others had a different and effective solution…

The fan bolts to the pulley, the pulley is a press fit to the water pump. I like the idea of peening the end of the shaft, I’ll see if that is feasible.

I used a small amount of rtv on a new seal…when I say small amount I mean just enough to hold the seal in place. Both mating surfaces were clean, smooth, and free of debris. I may just seek out a taller seal…curious if others had a different and effective solution…

"I like the idea of peening the end of the shaft, I’ll see if that is feasible."

If this is a typical unitized waterpump bearing/shaft you WON'T be peening the shaft, as it is made of (hard) bearing-grade steel!

If there's any press fit at all Loctite bearing and sleeve retainer SHOULD do the job.

"I like the idea of peening the end of the shaft, I’ll see if that is feasible."

If this is a typical unitized waterpump bearing/shaft you WON'T be peening the shaft, as it is made of (hard) bearing-grade steel!

If there's any press fit at all Loctite bearing and sleeve retainer SHOULD do the job.
That’s why I said I’ll see if it is feasible…I do think it is hardened steel…but hopefully the green loctite will do the job

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back