Case IH 895 steering issue

jonathanb

New User
I've seen several threads on various forums about Case IH 95 series tractors with steering issues, but not one with this cause. So, I figured I would post it to potentially help someone in the future. I purchased an 895 with a loader that steered very hard. It didn't really help to rev the engine, and the wheels would only turn a little bit. The tractor's hydraulics were otherwise fine. I checked the priority valve, which was fine, changed the hytran and filter, and rebuilt the front steering cylinder. None of these helped the steering. What I noticed is that the steering cylinder moved easily if the tie rods weren't connected. So, I wondered if the spindles moved freely. One was completely frozen...of course, the grease zerk wouldn't take grease. I took the spindle apart (it took about 3 hours of heating with oxy/acetylene and beating with a sledge). Cleaned the spindle, housing, and thrust bearing (it looked like they hadn't seen grease in a decade) and put it back together. This completely fixed the steering. The moral of the story is that grease zerks are there for a reason; don't ignore them (at least for too long) if they won't take grease. Hopefully, this helps someone else.

Thank you for the solution to your 895 PS steering problem.
If equipped with a loader, I always recommend as a first test for PS problems with the IH Doncaster, UK, built tractors is to use the loader to lift both front wheels off the ground and try the steering.

Grease is essential maintenance and is cheap compare to tractor parts.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back