Cub 174 with IH duplex hopper

IMG_1440.jpeg
Hi, haven’t been on forum for awhile. I have a 1961 cub with cultivators. It included some of the seed and fertilizer planter brackets and mechanisms. I am trying to get parts to put a complete 174 set up together. I was hoping to find someone selling a 174 set up for the cub and if possible with a IH Duplex seed hopper for beans and corn.
I see various sites like Burch selling parts but I need someone who would have knowledge on correct and compatible parts for that set up. My hope would be to get it right on first try as these parts are quite expensive. I have pics of what parts I have on tractor now if that helps. Thanks Bob

View attachment 67418Hi, haven’t been on forum for awhile. I have a 1961 cub with cultivators. It included some of the seed and fertilizer planter brackets and mechanisms. I am trying to get parts to put a complete 174 set up together. I was hoping to find someone selling a 174 set up for the cub and if possible with a IH Duplex seed hopper for beans and corn.
I see various sites like Burch selling parts but I need someone who would have knowledge on correct and compatible parts for that set up. My hope would be to get it right on first try as these parts are quite expensive. I have pics of what parts I have on tractor now if that helps. Thanks Bob
Burch Tractor Store is very knowledgeable on the correct parts for all of these 1 row Farmalls and probably will have what you need that is missing. Another place to check with is JP Tractor Salvage. They also have an extensive amount of Farmall parts and attachments / parts. You'll have to ask for the phone number of the gentleman that bought the implement selection. If you need a fertilizer hopper, Agri Supply has new ones reasonable that will work, but it will require a little work with a Dremel tool to shave down the hopper bottom as it doesn't fit and lock down quite right directly off the shelf. Otherwise it is a direct clone of an original hopper as far as the working mechanisms.

Thank you sir!
I waa beginning to think I brought up a taboo subject on the forum by the lack of responses. Lol! If you know of anyone looking to sell a complete 174 setup or a compatible duplex corn bean hopper please pass on my number. 609-364-1455.
I know the tractor picture is not close up but you can kind of see the seed and fertilizer Hopper base brackets are there. I also do not have the belly mounted planter runner which I hope attaches to the front cultivator tool bar. I believe the necessary drive sprockets and engaging arm mechanism is there and chain. I've been a little slowed down with back surgery but was trying to time my recovery with planting season on the family farm in upstate NY which is late May early June the latest. Any help is appreciated and thanks again Bob

Thank you sir!
I waa beginning to think I brought up a taboo subject on the forum by the lack of responses. Lol! If you know of anyone looking to sell a complete 174 setup or a compatible duplex corn bean hopper please pass on my number. 609-364-1455.
I know the tractor picture is not close up but you can kind of see the seed and fertilizer Hopper base brackets are there. I also do not have the belly mounted planter runner which I hope attaches to the front cultivator tool bar. I believe the necessary drive sprockets and engaging arm mechanism is there and chain. I've been a little slowed down with back surgery but was trying to time my recovery with planting season on the family farm in upstate NY which is late May early June the latest. Any help is appreciated and thanks again Bob

20240418_115615.jpg

I do know that you will need the 2nd sprocket to go directly beside the one my finger is pointing at to drive the seed hopper if you do not already have it on hand. The pin drive hole is already in the clutch drive shaft for it. When installing, it will be a matter of removing pipe spacers and washers to fit it into place. This is what I discovered recent
20240418_115645.jpg
ly while getting my son's fertilizer setup installed onto his Cub. I have seen some planter units listed on CL and FB marketplace. May want to keep an eye on. Those sites also. The truth is that those that have them intend to keep and use them, therefore some of this stuff is hard to come by or is already worn to a frazzle.
20240418_115645.jpg
Be advised if you do use a fiberglass hopper instead of the old galvanized type, you will need to orient the fertilizer base drive as in this picture to eliminate the flow gate hardware from hitting the base drive gear. It's a matter of pulling the shaft out, unbolting the base, rotate, and reassemble.

Thank you so much for that detailed information. It looks like from your pictures compared to what I have are a slightly different configuration. This is my concern as it would be better for me if I was lucky enough to find a complete setup 174 set up. I will try to attach pics of what I have though not the best. As I said I hate to buy piece meal parts that are not compatible and are expensive. I’ve got a pile of that stuff around from other projects. Lol! Thank you again. Bob Took these pics in the old barn not under the best conditions so not the best pics
IMG_2449.jpeg
IMG_2455.jpeg
IMG_2451.jpeg

BTW I did buy a fiberglass hopper years ago and yes the hopper as you noted did not fit! Now you have enlightened me why. Would like to get a galvanized one anyway. This fiberglass one was held together with baling wire and spit anyway Though I remember it wasn’t cheap
IMG_2462.jpeg
IMG_2460.jpeg

CRSutton gave good sound advice. You may not want to go this far but I believe in your situation considering buying another tractor that is equipped with what you need might not be out of the question. These attachments are becoming harder to find individually as you know. If in the end you had another tractor with just a set of cultivators you could sell it or use it without changing implements often. If one has alot of tractor work to do, a second one can be a big help. I bought a Super A years ago just to get the attachments that came with it, and later sold it with a set of cultivators.

Yes sir. I was actually considering taking that route of buying a tractor with the planter set up on it. I’ve been looking but haven’t seen one for sale. Maybe one in Alabama but that’s a little too far for me.
If I did go that route my first choice would be a super A with complete belly mounted setup. I don’t know what is a good planter choice for a super A? Is it a178 or something like that? Again I’m shooting for the stars here but trying to get a set up with a duplex corn/bean hopper. I would also consider another cub tractor with a complete 174 setup. Not looking for a parade vehicle here but a working tractor.
I believe there are more opportunities to find these tractors and planters in North Carolina. That being said my mothers side of the family were NC farmers from Chowan County. I worked summers there as a kid picking tobacco, watermelons and cantaloupes. Still have a very small portion of the farm which my mother bought after most of it was sold off in the farm recession in the 80’s. Please let me know if you have or know of anything like what I need for sale. I still get down there as my cousin still farms but I’m sure not picking tobacco anymore. Lol! Thanks for your help. Bob

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back