Farmall Cub sickle mowers

dhermesc

I am looking at a little Farmall cub that is selling soon. Only issue is it doesn't have a mower of any kind - the main reason I would buy one. I saw a few advertisements for the old blue 5' sickle bar belly mowers that are supposedly set up for A, B or C tractors. Can this work on a Cub also? I thought the Cub had 5' sickle bars and the others actually had larger sickle bars.

I know you can make anything work with a welder and torch but is 5' the right size for a cub or is it too big? I would think bolting it on would not be that big of deal and the only custom work would be to shorten the shaft that runs to the PTO. The Cub tractor I am looking at is a 60s yellow model with the hydraulic lift arms.

You may already know this but the Cub PTO runs backwards, or counterclockwise. Not sure if a sickle can run backwards? Cub specific sickles seem to show up pretty frequently from what Ive seen. Of course depends on your location

I used my neighbor's cub with a 5'belly-mounted sickle mower to mow hay for him when he was sick
many years ago. The mower worked good, and did a good job. It was just slow to me as I used larger equipment. I believe the C 22 IH sickle mower is what I used.

Short answer is no. Mounts won't fit without heavy modification.

On an old pitman mower PTO rotation doesn't matter, but the speed does. A Cub runs much too fast so you'd need to change out the pulleys on a belt-driven mower so the sickle isn't moving back and forth so fast that it tears a rip in the space-time continuum.

Those mowers are also 7' wide anyway. Cub won't have enough power to run it.

What you need is a Cub-22 belly mount sickle mower. These are one of the most common Cub implements out there.

From the wording of the original question, I'm not sure a sickle bar mower is necessarily preferred, just assumed to be relatively easy to find. There were multiple companies that made a variety of mowers to fit cubs. There were single and multi-spindle rotaries, and flail mowers, among others. They mounted under and behind, and even out front. Rotary mowers of one configuration or another are about the easiest to find implements for a Cub.

cvphoto162075.jpg

This is a belly mount sickle mower from a Cub. They have a bit different mount than the ones for a SA and larger 1 rows. Had a fellow that was going to scrap this one. Got it and youngest son got a Cub recently. We'll see what it does if we can find a PTO pulley for it as it's missing. Hope the picture will help.

It also needs a drag bar, unless it is laying in front of the cutter bar along with the holdup rod. The drag bar connects to a bracket that is mounted in the LEFT end of the square implement mount near the front axle.

Cub sickle mower PTO pulleys are 4" or 4-1/2" in diameter, and have a pretty good offset to them so the belt will line up.

A drive pulley for a Woods mower will be much too large and will cause the belt to be offset so badly it won't stay on the pulleys.

Woods mowers use a 6" to 7" pulley as I recall, and even if you could get the belt to stay on the sickle would be going so fast it would be tearing holes in reality. Even at an idle. With the correct pulley you barely run the tractor at 1/2 throttle to mow.

I am looking at a little Farmall cub that is selling soon. Only issue is it doesn't have a mower of any kind - the main reason I would buy one. I saw a few advertisements for the old blue 5' sickle bar belly mowers that are supposedly set up for A, B or C tractors. Can this work on a Cub also? I thought the Cub had 5' sickle bars and the others actually had larger sickle bars.

I know you can make anything work with a welder and torch but is 5' the right size for a cub or is it too big? I would think bolting it on would not be that big of deal and the only custom work would be to shorten the shaft that runs to the PTO. The Cub tractor I am looking at is a 60s yellow model with the hydraulic lift arms.
I see Cub sickle bar mowers on Facebook Marketplace quite often.. They are usually around $150. You might want to check Facebook Marketplace in your area. One for a Super A won't work without a lot of modifications.

C. Amick, you may have replied to these threads on purpose that is all good, the other being by Rodney51cub. Just want you to be aware that with this new format there are “Similar Threads” placed under each thread you view under the end of its discussion. “Smart” software is picking them out and placing them there good or bad you make the call, it sounds like the moderators want to keep them. Just pay attention to the dates of the threads you are replying to, as you know in the past especially in Classic View all post you were seeing were recent. Not discouraging you from replying to older threads just want to make you aware of what you may be doing without realizing it.

I mow the ditches are my farm with my cub and made 5 acres of hay last year with it. If you can find one in good shape it is worth the couple hundred bucks they sell for around me on craigslist and at auctions. I have a woods belly mower for the cub with all the brackets I would sell if you are in New England area.

C. Amick, you may have replied to these threads on purpose that is all good, the other being by Rodney51cub. Just want you to be aware that with this new format there are “Similar Threads” placed under each thread you view under the end of its discussion. “Smart” software is picking them out and placing them there good or bad you make the call, it sounds like the moderators want to keep them. Just pay attention to the dates of the threads you are replying to, as you know in the past especially in Classic View all post you were seeing were recent. Not discouraging you from replying to older threads just want to make you aware of what you may be doing without realizing it.
Thanks, I need to pay closer attention.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back