Cub mower repair.

I bought this cub Loboy last fall, it came with this mower which has new spindles and belt. The mower has several spots rusted through. Outside of the rusted spots the metal appears sound. My plan is to take it to a local welder and have him patch the holes but I though I'd check here first to get opinions on how it should be repaired and what a fair cost might be.
Thanks for the help! Paul

Attachments

• IMG_20240423_140429833.jpg
    IMG_20240423_140429833.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 84
  • IMG_20240423_140419588.jpg
    IMG_20240423_140419588.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20240423_140411182.jpg
    IMG_20240423_140411182.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_20240423_140520155.jpg
    IMG_20240423_140520155.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 574
  • IMG_20240423_140457545.jpg
    IMG_20240423_140457545.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
What it will cost to fix it will depend on the quality of job you want. Do you want the rust cut out and the pieces fitted in place, or are you ok with just making the pieces a little oversized and doing lap joint welds? Whoever does the work make sure that you both are on the same page technique-wise, so you don’t get any surprises when you pick up your unit.
Being flat, that will be a particularly easy repair; i do a lot of shibaura decks with all kinds of crazy humps and bends. Those decks are long discontinued but people love those tractors so they are willing to pay for originality, i.e. a custom fitting job. Then they understand the value of cleaning the underside of the deck every fall and coating it with oil.

I think you'll find that where the holes are, the steel near by is so thin that it will be non-weldable. Seems like there is a frame with panel construction. Might be a better solution to document what you have, cut out and weld in new panels and drill appropriate holes to mount stuff back to.

I bought this cub Loboy last fall, it came with this mower which has new spindles and belt. The mower has several spots rusted through. Outside of the rusted spots the metal appears sound. My plan is to take it to a local welder and have him patch the holes but I though I'd check here first to get opinions on how it should be repaired and what a fair cost might be.
Thanks for the help! Paul
Thanks all for the replies. I think I will take a grinder to the deck and see what I'm left with. If the remaining metal is substantial I'll consider getting it welded depending on price. Thanks Paul

Cub mowers are just MTD junk to start with. Trade it for something with value.
I’ve had a, what you call “junk”, MTD made 50” Cub Cadet riding mower for 19 years. Total cost of replacement parts over those 19 years? About $50. I’ll take that “junk” any day!!

Thanks all for the replies. I think I will take a grinder to the deck and see what I'm left with. If the remaining metal is substantial I'll consider getting it welded depending on price. Thanks Paul
I would weld it myself.
I'm guessing it is a woods mower and there is a lot of good metal.

Don't you people know that Cubs are built on two different assembly lines..

LO-Boy - Made of cheap material, often referred to as the MTD (Most Totally Disgusting), sold at places like Tractor Supply, Walmart and from ads found in Mail Order Bride catalogs. Marketed mainly toward suburban Yuppy wannabe gardeners and parade float pullers.

HI-Boy - Made with top quality parts. Never mistaken for an MTD. Only sold at dealerships and from ads in Playboy magazine. Marketed toward big strong independent burly men who's not afraid of a hard day's work.. That is if his wife lets him.

LO-Boy - Made of cheap material, often referred to as the MTD (Most Totally Disgusting), sold at places like Tractor Supply, Walmart and from ads found in Mail Order Bride catalogs. Marketed mainly toward suburban Yuppy wannabe gardeners and parade float pullers.

HI-Boy - Made with top quality parts. Never mistaken for an MTD. Only sold at dealerships and from ads in Playboy magazine. Marketed toward big strong independent burly men who's not afraid of a hard day's work.. That is if his wife lets him.
MTD… never… had … anything… to…do… with … the … Cub LoBoy… from ‘55 to ‘85. Whatever MTD built after the purchase of the Cub Cadet line is of no concern to the original topic.
Besides that, MTD doesn’t build anything anymore.

I have no idea what mule meat is talking about???? Maybe I had a stroke and I'm just not understanding 😭

If you've ever had an interest in learning to fabricate and weld, this might be the perfect time. I'd be surprised if a welding shop would be interested in that project. Please let us know what becomes of this.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back