cylinders don't move when using hand crank to time engine on 49 cub.

JimWV

New User
Cub just quit running other day. Replace pinion gear in distributor as rotor was sloppy. When trying to time engine to no.1 cylinder everything moves but the cylinders ???

Hand crank piston dont move
Welcome to YT Forums. We can get this going with more info. Did it stop like it was shut off, or like it was locking up? If there was no MAJOR noise it is difficult to believe the rod on #1 has come off. Remove all sparkplugs, Pit a plastic straw down each cylinder then crank it with the hand crank and report back. Jim

Cub just quit running other day. Replace pinion gear in distributor as rotor was sloppy. When trying to time engine to no.1 cylinder everything moves but the cylinders ???

on the larger models the crank thingy has a roll pin going through the crankshaft. if that roll pin breaks you will not be turning the crankshaft. just saying .

It was sitting and idling nicely and just quit running. Would not restart and acted like an ignition issue.. Removed distributor cap and rotor would move about 1/4 inch in either direction. removed cover and pinion gear was in bad shape. Order new pinion and rotor. Installed new ones and pulled #1 plug to time using finger on hole to tell when #1 was on top. Inserted crank and you could hear the magneto trip and see the fan etc move but the cylinders won't.

Broken crank just behind the gear? That means the pulley would turn as well as the timing gears, but not the rest of the crankshaft.

Hello Jim welcome to YT! My guess is unfortunately something has happened to the cam drive, gear came loose, key sheared or gear teeth stripped. Look in the spark plug holes you should see the valves. If they don’t move when you turn the engine what I have described above has taken place. Likely one of the cylinder will have some push/pull of air because its valves will be closed. The other cylinders will have no compression due to where the cam is stopped one or the other valve will be held open. To others on a Cub the distributor is on the opposite side of the engine from the cam so it has its own drive and can still turn independent of the cam.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone. I think used red mn got it. It seems the best answer at the time. Will update as I go
Thank you all again

Hello Jim welcome to YT! My guess is unfortunately something has happened to the cam drive, gear came loose, key sheared or gear teeth stripped. Look in the spark plug holes you should see the valves. If they don’t move when you turn the engine what I have described above has taken place. Likely one of the cylinder will have some push/pull of air because its valves will be closed. The other cylinders will have no compression due to where the cam is stopped one or the other valve will be held open. To others on a Cub the distributor is on the opposite side of the engine from the cam so it has its own drive and can still turn independent of the cam.
Pistons would still go up and down though... However the cyls are not suppose to move. the pistons and valves... yes.

Pistons would still go up and down though... However the cyls are not suppose to move. the pistons and valves... yes.
I didn’t come right out and say this as I was trying to be nice. My guess is the OP either felt or saw the valves not moving. He then incorrectly identified them as “cylinders” which by all purposes was meant as pistons.

Thanks to everyone. I think used red mn got it. It seems the best answer at the time. Will update as I go
Thank you all again
HOW are you determining that the "cylinders" or pistons are not moving?

Your Cub has a "flathead" engine and the sparkplugs are to the side, NOT over the pistons, and between the valves, making it difficult to see anything "moving" IF you are looking into the spark plug holes while cranking it.

cylinder-head-used-international-251228r-403847_4uerlscde9uk_1.jpg

HOW are you determining that the "cylinders" or pistons are not moving?

Your Cub has a "flathead" engine and the sparkplugs are to the side, NOT over the pistons, and between the valves, making it difficult to see anything "moving" IF you are looking into the spark plug holes while cranking it.

cylinder-head-used-international-251228r-403847_4uerlscde9uk_1.jpg
WO, you liked my Taz post for rr in the gasket thread. You should read my replies in this post as well. Although, the OP has not said yes this is what happened, I think what I replied to Sox in #14 is what happened and will answer your query.

If it's a flat head with the plug holes centered on top like the picture shows, use a screwdriver or long piece of wire down the hole while turning. If the wire goes up and down, then you know the pistons are in fact moving.
AaronSEIA

Folks, with a Cub hood off, spark plugs out, and using a flashlight you can in fact see the pistons and valves moving 😵‍💫...... Why complicate the issue??...... Sometimes I know the answer but after reading everything on here I get confused 😕
Nothing complicated or confusing about it if you read my replies. Also, by my thinking by what the OP said in reply 11 he is agreeing he misnamed some parts.

Nothing complicated or confusing about it if you read my replies. Also, by my thinking by what the OP said in reply 11 he is agreeing he misnamed some parts.
If the engine was on the compression or the following power stroke, the valves would not move, so the observation of not moving is easily explained. I think it will run with some external fixing. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back