Farmall C with 153 in it

Purchased an old Farmall C puller. Engine (153) seems to run great. The downside is that there is no alternator or wiring. The previous owner must of charged battery before going to the pull. My question is what alternator, wiring harness, electronic ignition, etc should I get. To make tractor run well and charge the battery. Also, there are home made welded hubs on rear. After reading a lot of different post it looks like 2 1/4 is diameter of axles. I could buy the expensive ones, but would rather find some that fit. I know this is allot, but any tips would be appreciated. Love the forum. First time posting.

(quoted from post at 17:04:29 08/31/22) Purchased an old Farmall C puller. Engine (153) seems to run great. The downside is that there is no alternator or wiring. The previous owner must of charged battery before going to the pull. My question is what alternator, wiring harness, electronic ignition, etc should I get. To make tractor run well and charge the battery. Also, there are home made welded hubs on rear. After reading a lot of different post it looks like 2 1/4 is diameter of axles. I could buy the expensive ones, but would rather find some that fit. I know this is allot, but any tips would be appreciated. Love the forum. First time posting.

Doug,
Welcome!!!
I sure love my Farmall C, I really hope you can get yours up to the way you want it.
My best advice for you is to look for a parts tractor to use as a donor. I have seen many of them for sale online for only a few hundred dollars. Most of them may never run again but if you can get a good list of parts off it, then it s a good idea. I suggest transplanting the entire changing system onto your tractor especially if it is six volt. Six volt positive ground is a great system. I always take my components to an auto electric rebuild shop before installing.
As far as an electronic ignition.... I have had excellent results from Pertronix ignition conversion kits. They easily convert your tractor to an electronic ignition. Just research exactly which kit you need.
Good luck

If you look up Just a few acres farm on youtube, he's doing a series on installing an alternator on a Farmall Super C, which is basically the same tractor as far as that goes.

Hello Doug welcome to YT on the posting side! In my
opinion just make your own wire harness. You only
have two wires going to the engine, 3 if you want an alt
warning light. I am not a proponent of ..one wire..
alternators. Often people post about how they have to
rev up the tractor to get their one wire alternator to
charge. A 3 wire alternator you just start it up and it is
charging at idle. In the 2nd diagram you can just
pickup ..excite.. power off the ignition feed on the
upstream side of resistor or on the coil plus terminal if
you run a 12v coil not requiring a resistor. Just get you
some of that black corrugated plastic tube with the
split along it. Here is one link to some YT info on a 6 -
12 change over. And a second diagram. I am not real
big on electronic ignitions points usually work just fine.
YT sell the Petronix brand which is pretty common
brand. Navigate to it from the big ..Parts.. button at the
top of these forums.
YT info and diagram

Diode diagram

I guess my rear axles are 2 5/16 in
diameter. Anyone have knowledge of
hubs from other tractors that will
work for my 9 bolt pressed rims. As
mentioned before the C currently has
homemade 9 bolt hub tack welded on
axles. Yuck!

Purchased an old Farmall C puller. Engine (153) seems to run great. The downside is that there is no alternator or wiring. The previous owner must of charged battery before going to the pull. My question is what alternator, wiring harness, electronic ignition, etc should I get. To make tractor run well and charge the battery. Also, there are home made welded hubs on rear. After reading a lot of different post it looks like 2 1/4 is diameter of axles. I could buy the expensive ones, but would rather find some that fit. I know this is allot, but any tips would be appreciated. Love the forum. First time posting.
Did that C come from West Central MO.? It sounds like one I put together. gm

Put a magneto in it .You wont need the extra weight.
pull with It first before you do anything ,to record your distance , that way you know you made it better or worse .

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back