Farmall Super A oil leak

CYLASBELKNAP

New User
I have a 1949 Super A that is leaking copious amounts of engine oil out of the bottom of the bell housing. My dad and I just did a full rebuild of the engine and then it sat for a few months without any significant leaking but when the engine is running especially when its warmed up and driving it starts losing a lot of oil. When I look up in there I can't see where the oil is coming from but the face of the flywheel is covered in oil which it then sprays everywhere as it turns. It seems to leak less when just idling but once I start driving it seems to get significantly worse. There is a chance though that is an illusion and the leak just gets worse when the engine is hot since I shut it off once I noticed oil pouring out. I suspect that perhaps the rear main seal is bad but are there any other places on the back of that block that could be leaking oil into that area and is it possible to get at the seal without splitting the tractor?

I have a 1949 Super A that is leaking copious amounts of engine oil out of the bottom of the bell housing. My dad and I just did a full rebuild of the engine and then it sat for a few months without any significant leaking but when the engine is running especially when its warmed up and driving it starts losing a lot of oil. When I look up in there I can't see where the oil is coming from but the face of the flywheel is covered in oil which it then sprays everywhere as it turns. It seems to leak less when just idling but once I start driving it seems to get significantly worse. There is a chance though that is an illusion and the leak just gets worse when the engine is hot since I shut it off once I noticed oil pouring out. I suspect that perhaps the rear main seal is bad but are there any other places on the back of that block that could be leaking oil into that area and is it possible to get at the seal without splitting the tractor?
Is the Welch plug at the back of the camshaft bore i stalled properly and sealed?

Also, as I recall, in addition to the rear crankshaft seal itself there are rubber seals that seal the rear main bearing cap to the block. Have these been properly installed?

Considering that you just did a full rebuild on the engine, I'd suspect that you may have nicked the rear main seal during installation. Leaking so profusely, the engine should be obviously low on oil I'd imagine, so at least you can confirm that it's an engine oil leak.

Unfortunately there's no fixing it without splitting the tractor again, so you may as well plan on it. Once you get it apart you'll be able to tell where the oil is coming from.

Could it be the oil cap is plugged and causing pressure in the crankcase? Ron MN

Considering that you just did a full rebuild on the engine, I'd suspect that you may have nicked the rear main seal during installation. Leaking so profusely, the engine should be obviously low on oil I'd imagine, so at least you can confirm that it's an engine oil leak.

Unfortunately there's no fixing it without splitting the tractor again, so you may as well plan on it. Once you get it apart you'll be able to tell where the oil is coming from.
"you may have nicked the rear main seal"

How do you "nick" a felt or rope "seal?

Inquiring minds wan to know!

Well if it is a rope seal they have a knack to install you have to work all the rope you can into the groove then cut it just so the ends can compress the seal just a bit without splaying out into the mating surfaces of the seal body itself. as for a rubber seal they are pretty easy to cut or nick just by not being careful enough during install. rubs on a keyway or not in straight or the casting it goes into is not held centered as it is slid on the crank and is nicked/cut by the end of the seal journal as it goes over it. Easier done than thought those old chrysler oil pans used to be fune with the rubber /neoprene pieces that had to be kept in palce while trying to wiggle the pan around to get it up in there with the engine in the vehicle.

Use your imagination. Some people can break an anvil.

So you're saying it's impossible to damage the seal during installation?

Inquiring minds wan to know!
As to the "rope seal" cat guy has it covered.

Still a chance the cam plug was left out, it has happened before!

A couple things not mentioned yet are: The plug at the rear of the oil galley was not reinstalled after being removed for cleaning. I think the port is sandwiched between the block and torque tube so you would maintain oil pressure but could have a leak. And, the rear seal pot metal housings are known to warp and cause a void between the capscrews. The housing can be trued up on a glass and sand paper if not too bad. The tractor will have to be split for any of the repairs. A disappointment I am sure but is repairable. Good luck.
Dennis

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back