Fixing some of the frustration

It is on admins list of things to tweek. So that each user can make filtering choices the default for you throughout the forum.
You do not have to manually mark anything as read. IF you do not use the back button.
Use the category name shown above the thread title near the top and at the bottom of thread before the "Similar Threads" listed.
I don't use the back button. If you are referring to the "Tractor Talk" button as the category button so am I. Every time i hit it , it marks the thread as read and resets my preference to last.

I don't use the back button. If you are referring to the "Tractor Talk" button as the category button so am I. Every time i hit it , it marks the thread as read and resets my preference to last.
The bold Tractor Talk in this picture, upper left of your screen.
But might be elsewhere if your not on a PC.
1704480539688.png

One last time, that is the button that is resetting my first to last preference.
the filtering preferences thing is to be tweeked so that it stays on your choices until you change them again.

I'm misunderstanding what you mean by "last".

Do you mean that you want to see the last post in a thread first?
Brown David, what we have been talking about is changing the filters, so that the latest reply to any topic doesn't bring that outdated post to the top of the list you view. If you go to the filters menu, and scroll down to the bottom of that menu, you'll see you can change "last message" to "first message". My understanding is that "first message" brings only a new topic to the very top of the list, while "last message" brings any post, whether it is a reply to an old topic or a brand-new thread to the top of the list, in chronological order as they come in. It becomes a matter of personal preference which way you want the Forum to operate for you. The terminology is confusing, and as soon as Admin sticks your preferences for the filter to your profile, it'll be less confusing having it reset to the default everytime you either push the back button, or switch to another forum. steve

Last edited:
I was getting discouraged with reading outdated posts that were triggered by a new comment to that old post. Then I discovered "filters". I opened up the little menu, went down to the "sort by" and selected "first message". It now works in chronological order by new thread and not by a responsive post. Steve
You would think the operator/designers of this forum would have set it up the way it was before, to save us from a lot of grief.

You would think the operator/designers of this forum would have set it up the way it was before, to save us from a lot of grief.
I think it has a lot to do with personal preference of everyone who uses this site. I can understand someone only interested in what's happening at the moment they log in, but there's a bunch of us who follow threads once we've found interesting ones, and we want those NOT to be drowned out by all the latest traffic. It's got to be a big juggling act for Admin right now, but I think the filter thing can work for all of us, and our individual preferences on how we view and use the Forums. steve

Brown David, what we have been talking about is changing the filters, so that the latest reply to any topic doesn't bring that outdated post to the top of the list you view. If you go to the filters menu, and scroll down to the bottom of that menu, you'll see you can change "last message" to "first message". My understanding is that "first message" brings only a new topic to the very top of the list, while "last message" brings any post, whether it is a reply to an old topic or a brand-new thread to the top of the list, in chronological order as they come in. It becomes a matter of personal preference which way you want the Forum to operate for you. The terminology is confusing, and as soon as Admin sticks your preferences for the filter to your profile, it'll be less confusing having it reset to the default everytime you either push the back button, or switch to another forum. steve

I see. In that case, "last message" works fine for me.

I don't recall setting that filter but this forum is working for me the way several others using the same setup do so I'm happy.

I was just confused about what you were saying.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back