Ford 4000 top steering seal removal

Our Phone System is Down!

Please use the Contact us Form

We are working to resolve the issue ASAP! Thanks for your patience!

nashranch

Not the best way to remove a leaking badly seal but it worked
mvphoto108516.jpg

The more I look at this the not more I dint think this is a oil seal. There must be another seal down in the steering column. I bet that is my leaky seal. Anybody know for sure. I do see oil down about 8 " inside the column

I just redid my 3600 which probably is similar due to the family tree. On top is a dust/condensation seal. Follow the
shaft housing down under the rear cover and you come to a flange with 4 bolts. Inside that flange is where my seal is
located and the assembly with all the moving parts is directly below......you don't have to touch that. It requires
removal of the rear top sheet metal (under the steering wheel) to get the casting out so that you can replace the seal.
The biggest problem you have is deciding to dig into it. Once I overwhelmed that objection it went pretty fast.

(quoted from post at 06:05:29 08/13/23) I just redid my 3600 which probably is similar due to the family tree. On top is a dust/condensation seal. Follow the
shaft housing down under the rear cover and you come to a flange with 4 bolts. Inside that flange is where my seal is
located and the assembly with all the moving parts is directly below......you don't have to touch that. It requires
removal of the rear top sheet metal (under the steering wheel) to get the casting out so that you can replace the seal.
The biggest problem you have is deciding to dig into it. Once I overwhelmed that objection it went pretty fast.

Yep I dug deeper into the steering column. I just pulled the nut off and rusty ball bearings hit the floor. Well that bearing is toast. Pulled the control valve and it looks OK ... been flushing it out with diesel.. I'm surprised there is no keyway to locate the control valve to the steering shaft. I definitely need new deals and ball bearings and plates.
mvphoto108546.jpg

mvphoto108547.jpg

Its not keyed the valve floats from up and down moment of the steering shaft. The center bushing #31 is said to fit one way just encase you missed it, its in the repair manual on its orientation.

I have to ask did the power steering have assist. By the looks of it, it looks like its not functioned in a long time.

(quoted from post at 17:43:12 08/13/23) Its not keyed the valve floats from up and down moment of the steering shaft. The center bushing #31 is said to fit one way just encase you missed it, its in the repair manual on its orientation.

I have to ask did the power steering have assist. By the looks of it, it looks like its not functioned in a long time.

No idea how long it's been out of service. The resevoir was a rusty bucket and the control valve was stuck also. It cleaned up ok and is working good. Glad for that cuz a new one is yt priced at $746...wow. The fo20 manual I have doesn't tell me which way the inner groove goes so a little help on that.
Also need the bearing, and upper and lower races part numbers.. can't find them on the yt site.
mvphoto108553.jpg

I am not near a manual at this time. I remember (may not be valid) the inner ring/grove goes down. I think it goes on to say install it the way it came out and I thought well taint that nice.

Have you taken it apart there is not much to it. 3 of the plungers are the same one is different and must go back in that hole. There will be a ball for each plunger that's been trapped in the center of the valve. It looking to escape BTDT take it apart in a large tray maybe you will coral them all.

This post was edited by Hobo,NC on 08/13/2023 at 06:17 pm.

Yep I took it apart... all the plungers were stuck. They freed up nicely. I will put the groove down unless I hear differently.. Yep my manual says install it like you took it apart. I found the bearing and races I need on the cnh site for the tune of $ 90.25. Part # is LA33586A

(quoted from post at 18:14:29 08/13/23) I am not near a manual at this time. I remember (may not be valid) the inner ring/grove goes down. I think it goes on to say install it the way it came out and I thought well taint that nice.

Have you taken it apart there is not much to it. 3 of the plungers are the same one is different and must go back in that hole. There will be a ball for each plunger that's been trapped in the center of the valve. It looking to escape BTDT take it apart in a large tray maybe you will coral them all.

This post was edited by Hobo,NC on 08/13/2023 at 06:17 pm.

I did find an xtra 1/4" ball that came out of the inside. Where exactly does it go ?

I had to look at it again. Three of the plunger holes use identical plungers and one spring so two plungers and one spring pert port.. The hole with different style plunger uses two check balls back to back between the plunger. rEMEMBER THIS IS FOR A 69 3000 I WORKED ON.

mvphoto108565.jpg

(quoted from post at 09:05:33 08/14/23)
I had to look at it again. Three of the plunger holes use identical plungers and one spring so two plungers and one spring pert port.. The hole with different style plunger uses two check balls back to back between the plunger. rEMEMBER THIS IS FOR A 69 3000 I WORKED ON.

mvphoto108565.jpg

Love it Hobo... yer drawings are better than any shop manual

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back