Ford 600 Series Engine Rebuild

jenkinsj1281

New User
I have a Ford 630 that needs an engine overhaul or possibly an engine rebuild. Supposedly it's the factory motor. Know of anybody in the MO area that can do this kind of work anymore?

I have a Ford 630 that needs an engine overhaul or possibly an engine rebuild. Supposedly it's the factory motor. Know of anybody in the MO area that can do this kind of work anymore?
There's plenty of mechanics that work on these old FORDs, it's just a matter of finding a good one. There are some who don't know squat and have their own opinions on what is what and may not always be correct. Now also note that many of us veterans are older now and retired from the business. I myself dissolved my repair shop in 2020 after 35 years of Ford Tractor repair. Locating a good younger mechanic is the challenge. BUT, you can do a lot of the grunt work yourself. If you are a good mechanic and have the equipment and tools, you can do an engine rebuild yourself with minimal extra machine shop use and will save you some money as well. You will need a machine shop to boil the block and head, inspect for cracks, and measure, pistons, bores, and bearing sizes to determine what new parts you need. Do not buy any engine kits before this is done. You will need to strip down the motor then take it to your shop guy to do all that. I always did this. Unless your shop has the equipment to boil the block, best to let a qualified shop do it. If you're not mechanically inclined, you can just take the entire tractor to his shop and he'll work on it from there.

A 630 Ford Tractor indicates it has the134 CID/OHV Engine, common and parts abound galore, a 4-Speed Transmission, and the '3' indicates it does NOT have a PTO. OEM Owner's Manual; the 53-59 MPC; and the I&T F0-20 Service Manual are needed if you are to do your work.

Tim Daley (MI)

Attachments

• FORD 600 & 800 TRACTOR OWNER-OPERATORS MANUAL.jpg
    FORD 600 & 800 TRACTOR OWNER-OPERATORS MANUAL.jpg
    998.2 KB · Views: 14
  • FORD TRACTOR '53 - '59 MPC.jpg
    FORD TRACTOR '53 - '59 MPC.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 16
  • I&T F0-20 SERVICE MANUAL.jpg
    I&T F0-20 SERVICE MANUAL.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
A 630 Ford Tractor indicates it has the134 CID/OHV Engine, common and parts abound galore, a 4-Speed Transmission, and the '3' indicates it does NOT have a PTO.
It did not have a PTO when it left the factory, but it might have had one added at any time over the past 67+ years since it left the factory.

There's plenty of mechanics that work on these old FORDs, it's just a matter of finding a good one. There are some who don't know squat and have their own opinions on what is what and may not always be correct. Now also note that many of us veterans are older now and retired from the business. I myself dissolved my repair shop in 2020 after 35 years of Ford Tractor repair. Locating a good younger mechanic is the challenge. BUT, you can do a lot of the grunt work yourself. If you are a good mechanic and have the equipment and tools, you can do an engine rebuild yourself with minimal extra machine shop use and will save you some money as well. You will need a machine shop to boil the block and head, inspect for cracks, and measure, pistons, bores, and bearing sizes to determine what new parts you need. Do not buy any engine kits before this is done. You will need to strip down the motor then take it to your shop guy to do all that. I always did this. Unless your shop has the equipment to boil the block, best to let a qualified shop do it. If you're not mechanically inclined, you can just take the entire tractor to his shop and he'll work on it from there.

A 630 Ford Tractor indicates it has the134 CID/OHV Engine, common and parts abound galore, a 4-Speed Transmission, and the '3' indicates it does NOT have a PTO. OEM Owner's Manual; the 53-59 MPC; and the I&T F0-20 Service Manual are needed if you are to do your work.

Tim Daley (MI)
Thanks for the info, that's a good start for me. I will look for a local machine shop. I can do most things until specialized tools are required. Sounds like one of those things is boiling, but out of curiosity what is that process? Also, I don't see any parts specifically for the 630. I assume parts labeled for the 600 will work? Lastly, yes a pto has been added at some point.

You would be very hard pressed to find a single part on yours that is not the same as the very common 640. I suggest that you take not only the block and head but also the crank and cam to your automotive machine shop. They will rework the head, and as Tim posted clean and evaluate the block, crank, and cam. They will recommend to you exactly how you should proceed. I usually have them install the new cam bearings too. I also order my bearings pistons, etc. from them to insure that everything mates up. They save me money on parts too.

Thanks for the info, that's a good start for me. I will look for a local machine shop. I can do most things until specialized tools are required. Sounds like one of those things is boiling, but out of curiosity what is that process? Also, I don't see any parts specifically for the 630. I assume parts labeled for the 600 will work? Lastly, yes a pto has been added at some point.
Boiling the block and head gets all the built up crud/dirt off of and out of them so they are down to the bare cast iron. Then the machinist can Magna-Flux them for any cracks on it.

The 600 Series is the basic Model Number, good for all 600's. There is no specific one for a 630 - the "3" just identifies it as 4-SPD with no PTO. You need to get those MANUALS. You really need the MANUALS if ya wanna be a FORD TRACTOR Owner to know all the systems and parts on it.. PM, repair procedures, and SAFETY are covered in Owners Manual. I&T has detailed instructions.
MPC has parts views and all part numbers with descriptions. The fact yours had a PTO added later factors in.

Most of us don't have a special machine shop and can boil the block so that is why there are specialty machine shops and guys around. They do this for a living and have all the right stuff.

Tim Daley (MI)

You would be very hard pressed to find a single part on yours that is not the same as the very common 640. I suggest that you take not only the block and head but also the crank and cam to your automotive machine shop. They will rework the head, and as Tim posted clean and evaluate the block, crank, and cam. They will recommend to you exactly how you should proceed. I usually have them install the new cam bearings too. I also order my bearings pistons, etc. from them to insure that everything mates up. They save me money on parts too.
Have them R&R the cyl sleeves if needed.

How far are you from Kansas City. There is a shop there that only does cylinder heads, but they do a good job.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back