Ford 860 won't run without a little choke

oneofeach

Well I got it going, I did a few tings not sure what fixed it. I raised the float level, put a little silicone to seal venturi, opened the main jet a little, and it started wow.
It needs about half a choke to run properly, the question I have is, what would you fellas do to richen the mixture, or did I over compensate some where along the way.

Generally, needing choke means a fuel obstruction somewhere. Your main jet doesn't come into the picture until you have a pretty good load on the engine. raising the float lowers the level which will make it need choke. So far as the silicone-can't tell. It would help if you answered questions from last week.

On a proper operating carb you should not need the choke engaged at all for the tractor to run smoothly. There is a restriction somewhere causing the problem. Many times some think a cleaning consists of only soaking the parts in some kind of cleaning solution then, spraying off with a can of cleaner and maybe blowing out with compressed air. Sometimes that may work but, more times than not it will not. Using a piece of stiff wire or torch tip cleaners every passage in the carb should be checked for obstructions. An old guitar string or two stays in my tool box for this exact reason. Clean all those passages out and get things set correctly and your tractor will run with no choke needed. Also (NEVER) put any silicone or any kind of sealer inside any part of a fuel system. You very soon will see why that is a no no.

Did you use silicon inside the carburetor?
For cleaning carb and other small passages I use old guitar strings.

Well I got it going, I did a few tings not sure what fixed it. I raised the float level, put a little silicone to seal venturi, opened the main jet a little, and it started wow.
It needs about half a choke to run properly, the question I have is, what would you fellas do to richen the mixture, or did I over compensate some where along the way.
Silicone and gas doesn't mix and you have the silicone clogging up something in the carb

Generally, needing choke means a fuel obstruction somewhere. Your main jet doesn't come into the picture until you have a pretty good load on the engine. raising the float lowers the level which will make it need choke. So far as the silicone-can't tell. It would help if you answered questions from last week.
The carb is a TSX706 EAF9510G by raising the float I mean lowering the gap to less than 1/4 inch, 3/16-5/32 I thought that would raise the fuel level in the bowl

The carb is a TSX706 EAF9510G by raising the float I mean lowering the gap to less than 1/4 inch, 3/16-5/32 I thought that would raise the fuel level in the bowl
While it might raise the level of fuel in the bowl it also tends to cause other problems and that is why they have spec. to set them by

On a proper operating carb you should not need the choke engaged at all for the tractor to run smoothly. There is a restriction somewhere causing the problem. Many times some think a cleaning consists of only soaking the parts in some kind of cleaning solution then, spraying off with a can of cleaner and maybe blowing out with compressed air. Sometimes that may work but, more times than not it will not. Using a piece of stiff wire or torch tip cleaners every passage in the carb should be checked for obstructions. An old guitar string or two stays in my tool box for this exact reason. Clean all those passages out and get things set correctly and your tractor will run with no choke needed. Also (NEVER) put any silicone or any kind of sealer inside any part of a fuel system. You very soon will see why that is a no no.
It could also be a vacuum leak somewhere rather than insufficient fuel delivery.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back