Ford 8n sherman transmission timing

Al/ lindley

New User
After rebuilding my 8n with a side,ount distributor, i am unsure of how to set the timing. My sherman transmission has no inspection hole to view the numbers on the flywheel. So I put the engine on top dead center using a dial indicator with both valves closed and marked the front pulley to show where TDC is.
I think its crazy that I can't see the marks on the flywheel. I'm hoping this thing will run. I'm just going to put the distributor back in the block and point it toward number one spark plug and hope it runs

To be clear, the ''timing window'' would be in the engine block and have NOTHING to do with it having a Sherman.

The fact that it doesn't have one indicates that you have a ''front-mount distributor block'' which has had a ''side-mount distributor'' installed which also requires a marching front cover and camshaft.

Which raises the question of how the generator is mounted.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back