Ford 9n hydraulics

FarmGirl1973

New User
I have a ford 9n that has a completely rebuilt hydraulic pump and the top cover assembly has been gone through, and has a new control valve. The problem in having is when I go to hook up my brush cutter it won’t lift it at all. After a couple tries it will lift about 2 inches and then stop, and then go back to not wanting to lift anymore. It will only do this when I attach the top adjustable drawbar to that part with the big spring( I’ve read they call that draft control) when I disconnect that top bar and only hook on the two bottom drawbars the tractor will pick it up like nothing. All the way up and all the way down like nothing is wrong. It will just not pick it up when the top drawbar is attached to the spring part. really need some help here.

Sounds to me like your draft spring is out of adjustment. The flip side of the same coin is does the top link bracket at the back of the tractor have more than one hole in it going up? The standard 9N top link bracket is only supposed to be an "L" shape with (3) holes at the ends and the corner.
If you have a bracket that has 3 holes going up, the lowest hole is what to connect to for the brush hog.

The draft control plunger inside the big spring rest on a triangular plate and when the plate gets worn away, the plunger will sit further to the rear and this shifts internal linkages such that the hydraulic control valve can not move far enough forward to go into full uplift. The triangular plate needs replacing or a washer as pictured needs to be installed to off set the wear.

The draft control plunger inside the big spring rest on a triangular plate and when the plate gets worn away, the plunger will sit further to the rear and this shifts internal linkages such that the hydraulic control valve can not move far enough forward to go into full uplift. The triangular plate needs replacing or a washer as pictured needs to be installed to off set the wear.
IMG_5916.jpeg
IMG_5917.jpeg
IMG_5918.jpeg

these are my pieces. Are they supposed to be a little bent? Also mine does not have a pin on it. I posted a picture where it bolts to on the top cover, is that indented part on the shaft where that pin is supposed to go?

is that indented part on the shaft where that pin is supposed to go?

yes
Ok maybe that’s my whole problem, if I didn’t have that pin would it cause a lot of problems? Because my plate that I have now is flat, I did find it weird that I didn’t have a pin and that groove is obviously there for something.

Anyone have any ideas?
1949 parts book shows 9N-527 as plate without pin 39-47 and 8N-527 as plate with pin 48-49
also shows the plunger as 9N-541-C used 39-47 and 8N-541 used 48-49
1969 parts book shows NCA-527-A as plate Hyd lift cover 39-52 and only the plunger 8N-541 used 39-52
1941 parts book shows 9N-541 without suffix, so that plunger was modified sometime between 1941 and 1949, presumably to include the notch for the pin in the plate. That pin is an improvement in that it helps to resist twisting of the plunger when the yoke is turned which can damage the internal parts if the yoke is too hard to turn. Since your plunger appears to have the notch for the pin , you should be able to use the plate with the pin if desired. You could just add a washer to your existing plate to compensate for wear. In either case I recommend using plenty of anti-seize on the threads of the plunger when installing the yoke. The yoke should turn easily by hand and not require any tool to turn it when installing or adjusting.

If you start up the tractor, with nothing hook to the three point hitch, will it lift up the arms? If it does, leave the lift arms in the up most position , and turn the motor off, can you hear fuild running inside the housing?
Could be the bypass valve on the pump...if everything was just rebuilt or gone through...some wouldn't change it ..or...could have changed it with a new one..of lesser quality..and it has failed already.
B

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back