Hd industrial 4140 ps pump.

I'm struggling to find a power steering pump for my 64 hd 4140. Will it be an issue if I use the pump from an ag tractor? The main difference I've noticed is the pulley size.

The HD Industrial pump most likely also has a higher relief valve setting than the ag chassis models, but the "updated" parts site no longer mentions the relief valve settings on power steering pumps, so I can't say for sure. Maybe someone with an old parts book might be able to look that up to let us know for sure.

I have the same 4140 1964 HD Industrial which I am restoring right now. I just finished rebuilding my entire power steering system and pump. The original pump is very easy to find, it is the standard Eaton PS pump used on multiple Ford tractors of the late 1950s into the 1960s, the one with the resevoir (sp) on top. The pulley size is only a minor issue. Just as an aside, my radiator is shot, so for a replacement I am using the period and size correct model but without the lower PS cooling tank. I just added a separate PS radiator. When rebuilding the pump the only real issue was the spring, which dictates the pressure. The other springs and plungers in the steering collum are still available on-line. Just a quick tip, it is easy to forget which side of the valve goes up, the correct side up is the side where the line orifices on the valve have the letters up. You can pick up new, reman, and used pumps on this and other sites. There is a plunder in the pump under the spring which has to move freely.

I have the same 4140 1964 HD Industrial which I am restoring right now. I just finished rebuilding my entire power steering system and pump. The original pump is very easy to find, it is the standard Eaton PS pump used on multiple Ford tractors of the late 1950s into the 1960s, the one with the resevoir (sp) on top. The pulley size is only a minor issue. Just as an aside, my radiator is shot, so for a replacement I am using the period and size correct model but without the lower PS cooling tank. I just added a separate PS radiator. When rebuilding the pump the only real issue was the spring, which dictates the pressure. The other springs and plungers in the steering collum are still available on-line. Just a quick tip, it is easy to forget which side of the valve goes up, the correct side up is the side where the line orifices on the valve have the letters up. You can pick up new, reman, and used pumps on this and other sites. There is a plunder in the pump under the spring which has to move freely.
Thank you very much. Would you be able to elaborate on your radiator set up?

I just purchased an aftermarket transmission or power steering cooler, just a mini radiator, ($35) strapped it to the new tractor radiator. All one does is to remove the two return lines that goes into the lower tank on the original factory set up, and run those two lines through the new mini radiator. This is the return line, so it is very low pressure. Your return line from the valve goes into the new cooler, the one coming out of the cooler goes into the Eaton pump resevoir. Also, I think you asked about the pump pressure. In my original HD operators manual the specs show a power steering maximum pressure of 1350 psi (that would be at full engine rpms) The spec sheet says capacity is 4.5 gpm of fluid at 1800 rpm and 1100 psi.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back